We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to Gioia

Boston...
4 posts
travel to Gioia

From Boston or New York, to find a reasonable price flight to Gioia Tauro, should I be looking at flying direct to Rome and then to La Mezzia, or does it make sense to fly to Naples and drive to Gioia, or is there a less obvious but better route?

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava, London
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
1. Re: travel to Gioia

Hi,

you can fly from Rome to Lamezia, there are 3 airlines flying there: Alitalia, EasyJet and Blue Panorama Airlnes.

From the airport you can take the shuttle or a taxi to the train station "Lamezia Terme Centrale" where you can take a train to Gioia Tauro. It usually takes about 45 minutes.

http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

Boston...
4 posts
2. Re: travel to Gioia

My family is from Gioia and I am hoping this is the year I finally go. They say that La Mezzia is the best option, or Reggio, and I think take the train from there. Fly from Boston (me too) or NY to Naples, Rome or even Milan to connect to one of the airports in Calabria.

That is what I started looking at but my planning has been complicated by one of my cousins getting married in northern Italy in July, so I might go then and try to figure out a three legged flight.

Boston...
4 posts
3. Re: travel to Gioia

My family is from Gioia and I am hoping this is the year I finally go. They say that La Mezzia is the best option, or Reggio, and I think take the train from there. Fly from Boston (me too) or NY to Naples, Rome or even Milan to connect to one of the airports in Calabria.

That is what I started looking at but my planning has been complicated by one of my cousins getting married in northern Italy in July, so I might go then and try to figure out a three legged flight.

Boston...
4 posts
4. Re: travel to Gioia

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava, London
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
5. Re: travel to Gioia

As I said, fly to Lamezia Terme (no La Mezzia). There are several flights from Northern Italy: Milan Linate, Turin, Venezia, Bologna and Bergamo.

Reply to: travel to Gioia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gioia Tauro
Recent Conversations