We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see in Westport and Karamea in one day?

Utah
Level Contributor
48 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What to see in Westport and Karamea in one day?

I have one day to spend in this area on April 14, 2017. We will be driving from Westport early in the a.m. and I know it is a 1 1/2 hour drive, and I need an itinerary for a day's worth of sight seeing! My husband and I are 57-58 years old, good health, like to hike 2-4 hrs round trip.

I am a photographer and would love to be able to get some awesome pictures of this area.

What route and things to do/see are suggested? I'm open to all comments!

Also, I could spend the night in Westport or drive to Greymouth depending on time of day. Our plans are to drive over Arthur's Pass to Christchurch the next day... is that doable in one day????.

Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see in Westport and Karamea in one day?

There are great walks in both of these areas but you will have to choose between them unless you like rushing. At Karamea you can walk part of the Heaphy Track for as far as you can handle and return on the same track. Then visit the Oparara Arch and caves, the latter for which a good torch is required. Call in at the information centre for info.

At Westport drive past Carters Beach and walk to Tauranga Bay seal colony. There are great views of the coast on this walk as well as a lighthouse.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see in Westport and Karamea in one day?

Driving from Westport or Greymouth to Christchurch in one day is entirely doable but it will take a long and full day with stops. And there are a LOT of great places to stop. The drive from Westport to Greymouth is one of the best coastal drives in the world. Be sure to stop at Punakaiki to see Pancake Rocks.

After stopping at Greymouth for a coffee or cup of tea and a walk around, take the SH7 road around Lake Brunner with a quick stop at Moana instead of the road towards Hokitika as it it is more scenic and have lunch at the Otira pub.

Edited: 05 October 2016, 14:14
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see in Westport and Karamea in one day?

Karamea is quite a drive and perhaps not going to repay the effort unless you have a good deal of time to commit to it, to get out of the settlement to hike. A compromise might be to focus on the area between Westport and the Karamea Bluff (which is a bit of an arduous drive) - there is a nicely bleak coastline, and you can take drives up into the hills to get a birdseye view, maybe check out traces of the mining past of this area. If mining is your thing, there are a couple of tours that you could do - the Denniston mine closed a while ago, and there is a "Denniston Experience" tour whereas the Stockton mine is still (just) operational. These tours do take up a bit of time, and at least the former would need to be booked in advance as it can sell out.

To satisfy your hiking needs, you could actually stay that night at Punakaiki - there is beach access, but when I stayed there at New Year's, I was more interested in the bush and river walks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see in Westport and Karamea in one day?

If you decide not to go as far as Karamea there are loads of walks near Greymouth to choose from in the DoC brochure:

…govt.nz/Documents/parks-and-recreation/trac…

West Coast walks: …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Utah
Level Contributor
48 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see in Westport and Karamea in one day?

Great tips. I appreciate all your comments. I'm going to do a little more research and make a decision whether to venture that far or not.

Thanks again👍

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see in Westport and Karamea in one day?

denniston is worth a visit, definitely charming creek walkway and oparapara arches. Some wonderful walks and places to explore from westport to karamea. The heaphy track is further past karamea but has excellent photo opportunities of nikau palms, swing bridge etc. Id definitely recommend staying in Karamea and exploring the walks from there.

Edited: 05 October 2016, 16:45
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see in Westport and Karamea in one day?

I think the drive from Greymouth to Westport is probably the greatest coastal drive in NZ/ Take a picnic as food choices are a bit slim and there are great places to stop.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see in Westport and Karamea in one day?

You have only a small amount of time, there is so much 'off the beaten track' places to explore from Westport to the start of the Heaphy Track. The one and only place you MUST visit are the Oparara Arches, you'll need a sturdy rental car (not a motorhome) it's 16kms of narrow gravel track to get there but you will be amazed. A photographers paradise. You don't need a torch, you won't be able to explore Honeycomb Caves, they are only available on a guide tour. But the rest of the walks are amazing. Here are my blogs to give you an idea. If you check the menu under the same month you'll find plenty of posts from the area. Moria's Arch & the Mirror Tarn are the highlights.

Moria Arch- https:/…moria-gate-arch-oparara-basin.html

Mirror Tarn- https://tikitouringnz.blogspot.co.nz/2015/04…

Oparara Arch- https:/…lost-world-oparara-basin.html

Crazy Paving & Box Canyon Caves- https://tikitouringnz.blogspot.co.nz/2015/04…

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to see in Westport and Karamea in one day?

Here's is the first part to the Denniston Plateau, the 2nd part link will be at the bottom of it- https:/…damn-denniston-part-1.html

The end of the Road, Kohaihai- https:/…kohaihai-sandfly-heaven.html

Reply to: What to see in Westport and Karamea in one day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Karamea