We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condition and Maintenance of Royal Davui

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
181 reviews
146 helpful votes
Condition and Maintenance of Royal Davui

We are planning a trip to Fiji for 2017. I am going back and forth between Royal Davui (first choice so far due to the views and Beqa Lagoon) and LikuLiku (but concerned about low tide in middle of day so may rule it out). I am wondering if those of you who have visited Royal Davui could comment on the condition and maintenance of the resort, pool and villas? Are they well maintained like in the resort photos or are they needing some updating?

7 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
50 reviews
34 helpful votes
1. Re: Condition and Maintenance of Royal Davui

Hi Moontrek

We stayed at RD about 12 mths ago (see my review by clicking on my name). The resort and its rooms are very well maintained. The pools are maintained daily, and we didn't have an issue with our pool - we had a sunset view villa close to the restaurant. Another couple found their pool temp a little variable, but they were moved as a result.

The rooms are very clean and are pretty close to the images on the website. There is a little but of wear and tear here and there, but nothing too bad.

It rained the entire time we were there yet we would definitely return.

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
181 reviews
146 helpful votes
2. Re: Condition and Maintenance of Royal Davui

Hello Travlntheblood,

Thank you for the quick reply. I am happy to know the resort is well maintained and looks like the photos. The photos - both the resort photos and the traveler photos - are breathtaking. I read that there are a lot of steps. I want to stay high up for the unobstructed views but wondering how hard it is to get down to the beach. Also which beach is the good one for snorkeling and swimming? I read that the south beach is good.

Thanks!

MoonTrek

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
50 reviews
34 helpful votes
3. Re: Condition and Maintenance of Royal Davui

Hi again

To be up high, you will need to book the premium vales. As I said earlier we faced the sunset, so we had the jetty nearby us, and a small beach we could swim off at low tide only (with good snorkelling at all times). There were a few wet and sometimes slippery steps to get down to the beach. Quite honestly, I didn't use the beach that much with the plunge pool two steps from my verandah.

South beach is lovely, but it was on the other side of the island to where we stayed, so we only visited it once on a walk after breakfast.

There is also the main beach near the restaurant and big pool which you can use to snorkel from as well.

I suppose it's a bit of a trade off - views and a few steps down to the beach or direct access to the beach and further to walk to your meals, but more money for the yummy cocktails before dinner!

Edited: 8 years ago
Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
79 helpful votes
4. Re: Condition and Maintenance of Royal Davui

Hi there,

We have stayed at Royal Davui in May 2016 for our wedding and honeymoon.

While the resort is lovely, rooms and amenities are well kept, it has its natural shortfalls.

We have taken Likuliku off our list due to low tides, not realizing Royal Davui is no different. Unfortunately, many places in Fiji are affected by tides. When we arrived, it was half moon, the tides were noticeable but still bearable. By the time we had to depart, it was full moon and most of the day there was barely any place left to swim, the water would recede back to where the house reef is, all the corals would be bared, you would have to get off the jetty if you wanted to swim. So, if you do go, make sure you don't go there around full moon time.

There are definitely a lot of steps on the island due to its natural shape. Beach access is very important to us, so we stayed at Villa #9, the only one at "ground" level. The view from the terrace was still breathtaking and we had a whole beach to ourselves. Could not really swim there during low tides, but still nice. However, we did have a lot of steps to climb to get places and sometimes we had to even plan ahead and take all our snorkeling gear with us to lunch just so we would not have to make the trip back to our room.

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
13,880 posts
148 reviews
331 helpful votes
5. Re: Condition and Maintenance of Royal Davui

Tides affect everywhere in the world on the ocean or sea. 2 high and 2 low in a 24 hour period. Google the tide charts for Fiji 2016 it will show you when it will be high and low for the time you plan to go,

Edited: 7 years ago
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
22 helpful votes
6. Re: Condition and Maintenance of Royal Davui

Choose Royal Davui..we were just there in February 2018 and it was wonderful. The place was beautiful, the staff exceptional and the food marvelous!!!

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
22 helpful votes
7. Re: Condition and Maintenance of Royal Davui

the tides at Royal Davui are not extreme as they are at Likuliku...we were just there..At low tide you can walk around Royal Davui island with only having to walk in the water a place or two. We loved Royal Davui..we have been to Fiji many times and this is our favorite resort..everything is superior

Reply to: Condition and Maintenance of Royal Davui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Royal Davui Island
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.