We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puglian towns best for mid October

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Puglian towns best for mid October

We are going to Puglia for five nights mid October staying in Lecce for two nights at the end of the weekend. For mid-week we are considering Locorotondo, Ostuni or orger town suitable in case weather is wet. We do have a hire car booked.

9 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,845 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Puglian towns best for mid October

Puglia region www.itaiia.it/en/discover-italy

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas in Italy, avoid city centres

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Accommodation www.booking.com www.bed-and-breakfast.it

Level Contributor
563 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Puglian towns best for mid October

Although not in Puglia, are you planning to visit Matera?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Puglian towns best for mid October

No although our friend recommends it we thought it will be too far to drive on the first day when we have been up since 3am!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Puglian towns best for mid October

There's a lot more to see/do in Lecce than any of the other places you mention, and 2 nights seems short to me, especially if your alternative is those much smaller places.

We stayed 3 nights in Lecce in April, in B&B Regina Maria I found on booking.com It is a beautiful apartment in the historic centre....where they provide everything for you to make breakfast, hence B&B). We were able to park in the square where the apartment is located (the owner notifies the authorities for you to access the ZTL)

Martina Franca would be a much better bet than Locorotondo, as it's a town of some size, rather than what is really not much more than a village. I'd say also better than Ostuni

I liked Monopoli on the coast too

Presumably you are planning to include Alberobello?

The official tourist website for the region is very well done https://www.viaggiareinpuglia.it/hp/en

Edited: 14 September 2017, 06:59
London
Level Contributor
523 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Puglian towns best for mid October

I disagree: Martina Franca isn't nearly so charming in my opinion as either Locorotondo or Ostuni (and MF has a baroque centre, in the same but a lesser way as Lecce, so a hilltop town would offer you a different view of Puglia). I do keep saying this on here but the charm of these towns lies not in 'things to see' but rather in absorbing their atmosphere and beauty. You can be lucky in October and find the weather beautiful or else it could rain every day; a long day trip to Matera wouldn't be a terrible idea in case of the latter.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Puglian towns best for mid October

My suggestion of a "better bet" was related to what to do if it's raining, since that was part of the question.

Maybe we were lucky in Martina Franca, being there on a Sunday with a fair on, and it was very lively. We went to Locorotondo the same day at lunchtime, couldn't get into the restaurant we wanted to, so headed to back our trullo for a snack and then went to Martina Franca. We booked at the restaurant in Locorotondo for the evening so went back then. The town is very small, so to me it's hard to see how you'd fill a whole rainy day there. I think a lot of these places on the Mediterranean lose a lot of their charm when you are seeing them in the rain. Ostuni is bigger, but didn't particularly "grab us" either, maybe precisely because we were seeing it with an umbrella in hand!. We did find a fantastic tavola calda though.

I've seen Martina Franca being described before as being similar to Lecce but we had spent 3 nights in Lecce before the trullo, and I didn't see a lot of similarities (not least that Lecce is on the flat, and Martina Franca is a hill town). And the ducal palace in Martina Franca is certainly well worth a look inside, as well as all the churches https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g616…

Edited: 15 September 2017, 02:06
London
Level Contributor
523 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Puglian towns best for mid October

The part of Puglia we're discussing is actually on the Adriatic. You know, these things are all personal opinion: in a decade of staying in the region, I've never had an urge to visit the ducal palace in Martina Franca. It also actually isn't a white hilltop town in the same way as Loco or Ostuni so there is a difference. I still think they're charming, come rain or shine - but my preference is to have a wander around then find a nice bar or cafe to settle in for a while. The original poster might have different preferences.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Puglian towns best for mid October

Thank you for your help. I was looking at Martina Franca for the first two nights but decided to look at towns completely different from our next stop, Lecce. We were considering short trips to Monopoli, Alberobello, Ostuni and booking a tasting at a vineyard in Noci. Hopefully this area will give us a relaxing start to our trip and the opportunity to try the local burrata.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Puglian towns best for mid October

Thank you for your reply. The Regina Maria is fully booked on our dates so I have booked Nuvole Barroche in the centre. We will go to Lecce in the morning so we have two and a half days there before heading back towards Brindisi for our final night in a masseria.

Reply to: Puglian towns best for mid October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Locorotondo