We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Road to Routeburn Shelter

Auckland Central...
7 posts
The Road to Routeburn Shelter

Hi there,

We have hired a 4 berth motorhome to travel around part of the South Island in early December. We have booked to walk the Routeburn and I was wondering if the road in to Routeburn Shelter was okay to take the motorhome or whether we should look at booking a shuttle and leaving the motorhome at Glenorchy. We have driven previously to Sylvan Lake carpark and feel that is fine. Does the road get any worse or is it essentially the same? We are careful kiwi drivers and our motorhome t&c doesn't omit this road but would love to get some advice from those who have driven the road in. Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Oz
Level Contributor
15,298 posts
50 reviews
1. Re: The Road to Routeburn Shelter

Hi,

The road is good gravel. The other drivers.......................)(&()^(

stuff.co.nz/national/crime/76516516/tourist-…

stuff.co.nz/national/76598503/WATCH-The-mome…

Cheers,

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,495 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: The Road to Routeburn Shelter

It actually says no campervans up the Routeburn Road, there's a large sign at the beginning of the road but as you know you can drive as far as the Lake Sylvan turnoff with no problems- that DOC camp is the drawcard there. It's actually quite narrow and a bit rough after the Lake turnoff- we wouldn't take our RV up there. A 4 berth would probably be OK but it's your choice (I definitely wouldn't take a 6berth up there at all- not only would you get dirty looks from everyone you meet on the way, it's likely to get stuck on some of the corners). And it does say no campervans. Personally I think it'd be safer leaving it back at Glenorchy.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
30,469 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: The Road to Routeburn Shelter

I am always glad to take a shuttle to special places as you see so much more of the scenery when not focusing on the road and driving.

Leave the camper in Glenorchy and enjoy the ride :)

and don't forget the sandfly repellent!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,617 posts
450 reviews
4. Re: The Road to Routeburn Shelter

Taking a shuttle makes more sense, even for cars because at the end of the RT you have to get back to your vehicle somehow. I'd be a bit worried about leaving a vehicle at a trailhead for 3-4 days.

Auckland Central...
7 posts
5. Re: The Road to Routeburn Shelter

Thanks Zappers. We will be taking your advice (and of the others in this forum) and leaving the motorhome in Glenorchy or QT and taking the shuttle. Just want to say I'm been loving reading your blog - so much fantastic information and awesome photos!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,495 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: The Road to Routeburn Shelter

Thanks Norma, much appreciated & glad you're enjoying it. There's some great info in there if you have the time to research and know the areas you're going to.

Auckland Central...
7 posts
7. Re: The Road to Routeburn Shelter

Yes Zappers, I have read pretty much all of your blog posts - my first 'port of call' of late when researching the areas we want to visit/tramp. The places you have been to and the things you have done have inspired me to 'persuade' my husband to take time out to 'live the dream'. I can't imagine anything nicer than traveling around this beautiful country of ours (as you have done) as husband is a mad keen fly fisherman and we both enjoy tramping and the great outdoors.

Reply to: The Road to Routeburn Shelter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glenorchy