We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Drives Around Glenorchy

Malaysia
Level Contributor
475 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Drives Around Glenorchy

I will be in Glenorchy early next week.

Do not intend to do any walks/hikes since I am with 2 old folks, though short and v easy walks should be OK.

1) Has anyone drive from Glenorchy to :

- Muddy Creek car park (Invincible Gold Mine) ?

- Dart Road End carpark (Paradise) ?

- Routeburn Shelter car park ?

- Kinloch ?

2) Which of the above routes are most scenic ? ranking

3) How are the road conditions in general ?

We are renting a crossover vehicle.

4) Any other recommendations for scenic drives ?

Thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Drives Around Glenorchy

Even if you only drive to Glenorchy you will have experienced a wonderful journey. If you decide to continue on to the Routeburn shelter or to Paradise you need to be aware that some of the road is gravel. However, it is very driveable but you need to make sure that the car hire company permits it. Some companies are more restrictive than others. If you could only do one drive out of Routeburn Shelter, Kinloch or Paradise, I would prefer Paradise for more open views. The road to the Routeburn Shelter is not so open. However, Kinloch has the advantage that you can get a meal at the end of your journey. I haven't been to Muddy Creek.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Drives Around Glenorchy

Hi

There is a beautiful local walk within Glenorchy - the Lagoon Boardwalk with various seating around the walk with incredible views.

Another option to get the best views of the scenery around Glenorchy would be a scenic helicooter flight with Heli Glenorchy. Their trips start from $245.00pp. Check out their reviews here on Trip Advisor www.tripadvisor.co.nz/heli_glenorchy. Or their website www.heliglenorchy.co.nz for details.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,898 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Drives Around Glenorchy

Drive out to Kinloch and enjoy lunch at the lodge - books essential. Some of the road us unsealed but the road is good.

Some rentals cars are not permitted to drive to Paradise, you will need to check your rental agreement.

Enjoy :)

Malaysia
Level Contributor
475 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Drives Around Glenorchy

Noted on the heads up on rental cars. Thx.

I have checked and they do allow except on Skippers Road.

Has anyone also driven along the Wanaka - Mt Aspiring road up to Raspberry creek carpark ?

How would you compare and rate the drive from Glenorchy to Paradise/Routeburn shelter versus the Wanaka - Mt Aspiring road ?

Just that we will leave the most scenic drive to a day with fantastic weather, and the other to a day which is perhaps cloudy etc.

Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Drives Around Glenorchy

I drove a corrolla on the Paradise road in October and Mt Aspiring rd Strawberry creek carpark in April, both times in a corolla. The issue on both roads is fords that need to be crossed. On the Aspiring road in April at least the water level in the fords wasnt an issue, but there was a few largish stones to dodge. You do need to check after heavy rain. On the Paradise road I came to I think 4 fords after the turnoff to Dart river where the boat trips depart. The water level was ok on the first 3, but I wasnt prepared to risk on the 4th. Possibly might have gone higher than bottom of door. But worth a drive anyway even if you have to stop at the first ford. Kinloch is also well worth a drive. We stayed the night at Kinloch and loved it

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,898 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic Drives Around Glenorchy

I hadn't been up the road to Paradise in over 20 years as I was living overseas. I drove up when snow was on the peaks, the Southern Rata was in bloom so splashes of deep red in the green rain forest [ 'bush' in Kiwi-speak] and with clear blue sky it was over-whelmingly spectacular. I have visited several times since and yes, the scenery is always stunning, the road always interesting - I would only drive a 4WD to Paradise. The sandflies at Paradise are a pest and a plague - so much so my dog would refuse to get out of the Jeep - they attack his nether regions!

I have done the drive Wanaka to Raspberry creek numerous times. No matter the season or the weather it is always stunning. Allow a full hour to drive to 51kms - the gravel road really is that slow. The final 6 to 10 kms has multiple unbridged stream crossings. the first crossing is the worst, if you make that one okay, you will be fine on the rest.

My suggestion - do both when you can. Both are stunning no matter the conditions - enjoy :)

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic Drives Around Glenorchy

Wanaka to Raspberry creek is also lovely and was not a problem when we drove it. But I am assuming from your original post that you have Queenstown to Glenorchy on your route for definite as that is the best of all of them.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
275 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic Drives Around Glenorchy

the glenorchy to paradise rd is tar sealed upto priory rd then rutted gravel with pot holes till after the earnslaw burn bridge past diamond lake it is narrow smooth dirt road through the trees

after the trees you go over a rise and a small crossing that may have water in it

then decend down the hill in to the paradise valley area through farm land on a narrow gravel road

once you leave the farm land you reenter the beech forest

there are several water crossings of various depths depending on rain fall

also passing through area called dans paddock this area after rain can have deep ruts crossing road that may only be 4 wheel drive pass able

at end of this rd is a turn around loop with a toilet area

no cell phone coverage in paradise area

several two wheel drive rental vehicles have crashed on this road in the last few months due to conditions

I drive the length of this road twice a day in a 4 wheel drive

would check with the rental company on their rules about the cars being driven through water crossings

New England
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic Drives Around Glenorchy

Thanks to all the contributors. You have been most helpful. Wish there are more threads like this.

Reply to: Scenic Drives Around Glenorchy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glenorchy