We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watch this dash cam!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,458 posts
430 reviews
Save Topic
Watch this dash cam!

Live coverage of a crash on the Glenorchy-Paradise Road:

stuff.co.nz/national/76598503/WATCH-The-mome…

I wonder if the rental car was covered for this road?

8 replies to this topic
Oz
Level Contributor
14,366 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watch this dash cam!

Hi,

Roll on New Year :-0

Cheers,

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4,241 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watch this dash cam!

hmph.

Zhuhai - I recently rented a car in Queenstown, and they only stated that I wasn't covered on the Skippers Road. I went out to the start of the Routeburn and there were many other rental cars there.

While it IS important to see this video - in the article the kiwi seems to be trying to blame the tourist driver and the road condition - both do contribute - but what about his speed - 64kms/hr on a dirt road, and on a corner with a recommended 35km speed... !!!

Drive safely peoples!

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,524 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watch this dash cam!

That's a bit chilling.

Like this public service note says - slow down, other people make mistakes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvLaTupw-hk

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Watch this dash cam!

exerpt from Apex rentals exclusions (f) The vehicle is operated off-road or on any beach including Ninety Mile Beach and Te Paki stream bed.

(g) ALL vehicles (including 4WD vehicles) are prohibited from driving on ALL 4WD tracks.

(h) The following roads are also specifically excluded: Skippers Canyon, the road to Macetown, Tasman Valley Road (also known as old Ball Road), Matukituki Road beyond the Treble Cone access road turn off, Glenorchy-Paradise Road beyond Priory Road turn off.

(i) The vehicle including its accessories and spare parts is damaged as a result of submersion in water, including crossing creeks, rivers or flooded fords.

(j) The vehicle is operated outside the term of the hire;

One issue that hirers need be aware of, of you have an accident of any kind especally a single vehicle accident, the rental companies will not give you a replacement nor refund any of the unsed hire period which in many cases I am aware of, such accident hapen with in day three of a 10 to 15 day hire period.

Mentioned in this post
Treble Cone
Treble Cone
155 Reviews
South Island, New Zealand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watch this dash cam!

A timely article for those that have a little more cash or are scared out of their wits-

stuff.co.nz/business/76537385/tourists-spend…

California
Level Contributor
10,199 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Watch this dash cam!

In my opinion, the driver of the vehicle with the dashcam was driving too fast for the conditions. He stated recent grading forced him to drive down the center of the road, so he must have known opposing traffic would do the same.

Apex does exclude their cars from Glenorchy-Paradise Rd beyond the Priory Rd turn-off (Priory is the road that continues to the start of the Routeburn Track). So Apex cars should not be driven to Paradise. They are the only company that excludes that section of road that I've run across. We've only rented from 4 car hirers and 2 campervan hirers. So there may be others that exclude that road, but I haven't run across them yet.

Mentioned in this post
Routeburn Track
Routeburn Track
559 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,524 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Watch this dash cam!

DeS

I think the driver said recent grading possibly forced the other vehicle to drive in the centre of the road. To me the clip shows the vehicle with the camera driving too fast - but they seem to be well on the correct side of the road.

One day driving along the Matukituki Road towards Mt Aspiring NP from Wanaka we encountered a rental car driving on the wrong side of the road. I wasn't driving - my partner pulled up alongside and I said through the open windows, you are driving on the wrong side. They giggled.

A car was coming towards us, flashing it's lights at the idiot driver who continued along on the right. My partner pulled across the road to block their path and I got out of the car and told the idiots in quite colourful language exactly what I thought of their driving. They stopped giggling and started driving on the correct side of the road. I looked out for them at the car park but they didn't make it that far. I think they were Israeli.

Mentioned in this post
Wanaka
Wanaka
Otago Region, New Zealand
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
264 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Watch this dash cam!

this piece of road passing through the middle of earnslaw station has had it speed reduced to 70km/hour in the last few months

wondering why a safe driver whom is suppose to be at correct speed needs a radar detector mounted on his windscreens as seen in lower part of video why I wonder would he be trying to evade police speed radars!

regulars like myself whom drive this road 4 times a day usually drive with our headlights on so other driver can see us

Reply to: Watch this dash cam!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glenorchy