We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

41 km???

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
41 km???

TripAdvisor gives the distance from Glenorchy to Milford SoUndo as 41 km. As far as I can see there is no road and one travels via Queenstown. Is 41 km the distance for hikers?

16 replies to this topic
Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: 41 km???

Apparently. The driving distance is

https:/…

is 333.7km.

There have been discussions about transport systems but I have not seen anything recent.

Edited: 12 March 2018, 06:51
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: 41 km???

It's probably giving you the distance walking the Routeburn Track.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,099 posts
450 reviews
3. Re: 41 km???

Yes it is the Routeburn Track (32Km walking) from Glenorchy to The Divide; But then 35 Km by road to Milford Sound so I don't know where you are seeing 41Km.

Te Anau, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,607 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: 41 km???

That might be the distance as the crow flys.

But if the crow was driving it is roughly 260 km.

Not sure how far if the crow was walking and carrying a pack.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,700 posts
220 reviews
5. Re: 41 km???

There are no crows in this area. They are Kea :) They have to make a few trips as they cant get all their stuff over in one go. The reduce the number of their trips by stealing the stuff trampers have carried over for them. :)

There have been all sorts of proposals for tunnels and cable cars but there is considerable opposition to spoiling a pristine area.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
291 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: 41 km???

Use to spend a lot of time on the paradise and routeburn roads and yep have been stopped and asked directions by tourist trying to get to Milford sound

Looking at ruff maps it can be deceiving that those roads appear to go to Milford sound

They get a big surprise to find out that they have to drive all the way back to queenstown and then head south before going north to Milford sound

Yer its a very short distance as the kea fly

But by road you must drive around lake wakatipu and a mountain range

Locals put a stop to the tunnel and monorail plans

That were considered to shorten the trip

Te Anau, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,607 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: 41 km???

Sure did Martin. The tunnel was a stupid idea from the outset, and was never going to get off the ground. Who wants to take a scenic trip in a tunnel.

The Monorail, and alternate gondola, would have been great, and many locals were in favour of it, but it would never have carried the numbers required to replace the coaches, and it terminated at TeAnau Downs, so road transport would still have been required.

I don't see any alternative to to the existing arrangement in the foreseeable future, although some form of mandatory shuttle service, either from TeAnau, or somewhere closer to Milford is being mooted.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
291 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: 41 km???

Well i suppose they did technically build a tunnel to shorten the trip in 1953 by opening the homer tunnel

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
6,452 posts
282 reviews
9. Re: 41 km???

Loved all the explanations guys. I remember taking a wrong turn on one of my trips from QTN to Te Anau and drove down the left side of the lake instead of the right to Glenorchy. Beautiful drive but when I got to Glenorchy I didn't see any signs so I went into one of the stores and the person behind the counter with a great sense of humour for a Kiwi said to me when I asked how to get to Te Anau "If you start walking now it will take you about 3 days" but if you turn round a go back the way you came and cross the bridge to the other side near Queenstown it will take you around 3 hrs.

Great advise so we filled up with petrol and went back the 41Klms we traveled along the lake.

What beautiful scenery it was though.

Thought I'd share that will you all.

Edited: 12 March 2018, 15:12
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,099 posts
450 reviews
10. Re: 41 km???

I really like the idea of a compulsory shuttle bus. Several World Heritage areas in China & Japan have this. At least one using electric buses only for added environmental protection.

Reply to: 41 km???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glenorchy