We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip from Auckland

buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
216 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip from Auckland

Have 4 days in Auckland, been to Waiheke and plan to visit Tiritiri Island tomorrow. Do not have a car but would like to know if it's worth visiting the Matakana Coast? Enjoy beaches, food & wine!

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Waiheke Island
Waiheke Island
Auckland, New Zealand
3 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,291 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip from Auckland

Hi,

Without a vehicle, it won't be as easy to visit Matakana, as Waiheke or Tiri. You could certainly reach the Hibiscus Coast instead, by regular bus service to Orewa.

Matakana has a shuttle service, so you could look at this possibility further if you are especially keen to see Matakana area - http://www.warkworthtaxiandminibus.co.nz/.

The Intercity/Northliner buses stop at Warkworth township to/from their Northland schedule - http://www.intercity.co.nz/

Mentioned in this post
Waiheke Island
Waiheke Island
Auckland, New Zealand
Northland Region
Northland Region
North Island, New Zealand
buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
216 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip from Auckland

Thanks for the message. I have managed to get a rental car so think I might drive up tomorrow as the weather is looking good. Any beaches or wineries that you would recommend?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip from Auckland

Matakana is gorgeous - the places I would recommend are Brick Bay winery (more platter type food than full menu but still very nice and has a great sculpture walk), Plume restaurant at Heron's Flight/Runner Duck vineyard also really nice, as is Mahurangi River winery (the latter two are probably good lunch spots). Ascension is another large winery, personally I wouldn't bother with it, in my opinion it lacks the character of the others. In Matakana village itself you should go to the Organic Blueberry icecream stall right in the village centre - such great fresh fruit icecream. There is also a nice cafe/restaurant right down on the rivers edge, walk through the movie theatre to the very bottom level to access it (can't recall the name).

Loads of great beaches nearby - Tawharanui is the most beautiful but be aware you have to drive along a gravel road to get there. Omaha is also really nice.

Mentioned in this post
Matakana Village
Matakana Village
374 Reviews
Matakana, New Zealand
Reply to: Day Trip from Auckland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Matakana