We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Holiday North Island December

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
100 reviews
Family Holiday North Island December

Kia Ora!

Can't wait to see your beautiful country! Only have time to visit the North Island this time (Auckland, Bay of Is, Coromandel, Rotarua, Taupo, Waitomo).

Can anyone let me know what you think the must see things are in these areas for a family of four (9 and 12 yo) . All the attractions seem so expensive!

Also anybody stayed at the Pakari Geothermal Motel (west of Auckland)? can't find any reviews on it.

Thanks muchly !!

Matakana Village
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Saltwater Eco
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Family Holiday North Island December

In Auckland you should visit Auckland Museum and see the Maori Experience, the Sky Tower for the views and the glass floor, Auckland Zoo, Kelly Tarltons underwater World and view the penguins, black sand west coast beaches of Piha and Muriwai with the gannet colony, and a ferry boat ride to Rangitoto, ride to the summit of this very special volcano.

Did you mean the Parakai Motel??? If so maybe there is a reason that it has no reviews.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
100 reviews
2. Re: Family Holiday North Island December

thanks for those suggestions!!

I think there might be only one Parakai motel?? Apparently it is only new....looking for somewhere self contained and reasonably priced west of Auckland and not having much luck.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Family Holiday North Island December

Hi

I was concerned if you meant Pakiri on the east coast or Parakai on the west coast as this posting has come in under Matakana which is on the east coast.

I do not think the geothermal motel is new.

Look at Jory's B & B in Kumeu, it does have a kitchen, also Panorama Heights in Waitakere Ranges, it also has a kitchen, motel would be Lincoln Green in Henderson, not sure if they have kitchens as it has all been refurbished. There are hot pools at Parakai and also on the east coast at Waiwera.

Hope that this helps

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
100 reviews
4. Re: Family Holiday North Island December

Thank you - I will check those out!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Family Holiday North Island December

Recommend Tree Adventures in Woodhill Forest (also near Murawai beach). Great confidence courses up in the trees and my kids LOVE it (age 9 and 11).

Murawai is an amazing beach - black sand and surf.

Heading up to the Bay of Islands, you might want to take the West Coast route if going up by car then crossing to the East Coast higher up. You will then catch attractions such as the Kauri Museum, Giant Kauris etc. The West Coast is a lot more scenic and less populated.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

6. Re: Family Holiday North Island December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Matakana