We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry on garment bag

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Carry on garment bag

Hello experts. I'm on a search for the perfect carry on garment bag for my son. He carries a cello, rollerboard, and personal item onto the plane. Because he has an extra seat, he could bring another carry on item. I have in mind a tri-fold that will slip over the rollerboard handle. Tumi and B&R are out of my price range. Any suggestions? Or other ideas about the best way to carry his gear (I have also considered going the other direction--a new rollerboard that will carry a suit with an underseat that passes over the handle).

Here is what my internet search has uncovered. Does anyone have experience with any of these? A. Saks Deluxe Expandable Tri -Fold Carry-On Garment Bag

Victorinox Werks Traveler 5.0 WT Porter

Mercury Luggage Executive Series Tri-Fold Garment Bag (which doesn't look like it has a great hanging system)

WallyBags 52 Inch Garmentote Tri-Fold with Shoulder Strap (attaches to the top of rollerboard handle via velcro rather than passing over the handle to rest on the luggage)

Thanks for your help!

6 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Carry on garment bag

Edited: Actually I just checked the JetBlue website, and with an extra seat he is not entitled to extra carry on. So the best option may be either the type of tri-fold garment bag described above with a rolling underseat tote, or a roller garment bag carry on.

Florida
Level Contributor
162 posts
176 reviews
2. Re: Carry on garment bag

Don't have much experience with those specific type of garment bags, but I have traveled with one before on Delta. The flight attendants were super nice and kept it in one of the closets up by the galley. I'm sure they'll be able to do that for you. On another one of my domestic Delta flights, they gate checked the garment bag because I was traveling on a regional jet and I'm assuming they didn't have enough closet space. It was a bit nerve wracking to have it go into the cargo hold since I had a suit in there, but it came back in perfect condition. Jetblue's Airbus planes should have ample amount of closet space so you could always ask a flight attendant to store it in there for you.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
3. Re: Carry on garment bag

Thanks for the suggestion but JetBlue (which he flies most often) doesn't have closet space for garment bags.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,470 posts
1 review
4. Re: Carry on garment bag

welcome,

in my opinion, if every airline offered him the whole cargo bay, i would still learn how to pack light and travel with just 1 carryon. Just one of those times, he will need to do with less even though someone or others may offer more. Its just a more efficient way of travel. Once you see people struggle with more luggage than hands, you will appreciate it.

good luck.

Edited: 26 November 2017, 10:06
Italy
Level Contributor
9,070 posts
5. Re: Carry on garment bag

If he's traveling with a cello he likely has certain needs which preclude traveling light.

Rkap you might want to list how much he needs to carry. I'm envisioning certain things but it's only a guess. Samsonite has suit carriers. But are any good enough for you needs? I have no idea.

Edited: 26 November 2017, 22:01
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: Carry on garment bag

I am looking for advice around luggage, trying to add a garment carrier in a hands-free fashion. He is used to traveling with his cello and is used to traveling carry-on only. What I anticipate is first, within the next two weeks, he's flying home for break where he'll need clothes for the New England winter plus a trip to Florida. And for summer break he will be flying with summer clothes, dress clothes, dress shoes, and tuxedo in preparation for a summer music festival.

Edited: 27 November 2017, 02:44
Reply to: Carry on garment bag
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted