We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not honeymoon, but a trip for just me and my husband advice

Boston...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Not honeymoon, but a trip for just me and my husband advice

30th birthday - any ideas of where to go (just my husband and me) in August for a 30th birthday trip? We are going to be traveling from Boston and probably only have 3-5 vacation days from work to spend.

Would love somewhere international, but having trouble thinking of a place we could do in that short of time that has good weather that time of year.

Travel type: we are pretty flexible, love to explore cities just by walking around, enjoy trying local foods, good mix of casual food hole in the walls and a nicer sit down dinner, beach, hiking, not the biggest drinkers but we do drink.

11 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
48,856 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
1. Re: Not honeymoon, but a trip for just me and my husband advice

Canada is International, short easy flights. or you can drive as well

Toronto and Niagara Falls or Niagara on the Lake wine region, or Ottawa or Montreal or Quebec City ...

Or a combination of some... you can travel by train between them

Sunny weather in August - Toronto basically the same weather as Boston

All the things you mention are easy to do here, and our beaches are fresh water/lakes

Edited: 24 March 2024, 03:38
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,856 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
2. Re: Not honeymoon, but a trip for just me and my husband advice

Also you can take a look at our beautiful Maritime provinces

For example Nova Scotia -

Drive Boston to Bar Harbor, Maine along 1-95, and ferry over to Nova Scotia

OR fly, no problem

Gorgeous Atlantic Ocean beaches there

Edited: 24 March 2024, 03:48
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10,045 posts
562 reviews
144 helpful votes
3. Re: Not honeymoon, but a trip for just me and my husband advice

+1 for Canada. Quebec City is charming with a very French feel to it; after a couple days there, you could rent a car and drive along the St Lawrence River to see some countryside and maybe stop at a country inn for a couple nights.

From Boston, I think you can fly nonstop to Lisbon in 6-1/2 hours. Average high temp in August is 83 F and it's not rainy.

You could also fly nonstop to Dublin in a little over 6 hours, a delightful place to visit. Weather would be cooler than Lisbon and you might get a bit of rain. You could likewise consider renting a car and visiting the countryside or possibly there's train service to some other Irish cities;I've never looked into that but worth investigating if the idea of driving on the left side of the road is alarming.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
21,419 posts
15 reviews
22 helpful votes
4. Re: Not honeymoon, but a trip for just me and my husband advice

#2 for Canada!

Montreal for 3-5 days is amazing - feels like a mini French escape.. Old City is so beautiful, delicious food, lots to explore, etc.

Or any of the other combos work.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Not honeymoon, but a trip for just me and my husband advice

Thanks everyone - sounds like it’s Canada for us!! Love that we would be able to drive - we are leaning toward Montreal and QC!

Although the maritime islands are definitely on our list for one day too.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,856 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
6. Re: Not honeymoon, but a trip for just me and my husband advice

Youre welcome Mimi...

If youd like travel advice about planning a Montreal & Québec City trip, you can post directly on Tripadvisors dedicated Destination Forums ... Both Montreal & QC have their own Forums where locals will make suggestions

Note: Montreal and Quebec City are both located in the Province of Quebec...

Ive left a link for you to the Quebec Provincial Forum where you will see both sub forums for the cities, and others located in Quebec province

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g155025-i50-Quebec.html

Bonne chance!

Dedham...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
144 reviews
109 helpful votes
7. Re: Not honeymoon, but a trip for just me and my husband advice

The loop up and through Montreal and Quebec is the right answer! Try to stay downtown so you can walk. They are good pedestrian cities and the old towns are what you want to see.

Add in a night or two in the Eastern Townships on their lakes with fancy B&Bs on the way up or down. They are also very French and in August will have nice fresh produce in the farmstands.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,856 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
8. Re: Not honeymoon, but a trip for just me and my husband advice

The Eastern townships will be very busy in the summer so be sure to book ahead asap

Allen, Texas
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
12,595 posts
171 reviews
148 helpful votes
9. Re: Not honeymoon, but a trip for just me and my husband advice

Would also +1 Eden @2 re the Maritimes. Lovely. If considering PEI, do note that they have high tourist traffic in the north area due to Anne of Green Gables enthusiasts. Still worth it! Great places off the water all over. Really enjoyed Nova Scotia as well. New Brunswick am told has one of the higher water temp areas in summer, so if looking at a bit of beach, a consideration…. although the coast in PEI is very nice.

5 posts
10. Re: Not honeymoon, but a trip for just me and my husband advice

For a memorable 30th birthday trip, consider Lisbon, Portugal, where you can explore colorful streets, indulge in Portuguese cuisine, and enjoy panoramic views from historic landmarks like São Jorge Castle. Amsterdam, Netherlands, offers picturesque canals, Dutch delicacies, and world-class museums like the Van Gogh Museum. Bali, Indonesia, invites you to experience its vibrant culture, lush landscapes, and beautiful beaches. In Barcelona, Spain, stroll through the Gothic Quarter, savor tapas, and relax on Barceloneta Beach. Cape Town, South Africa, boasts scenic beauty, diverse cuisine, and cultural heritage, with opportunities to explore neighborhoods like Bo-Kaap and hike Table Mountain for breathtaking views. Each destination promises an unforgettable mix of city exploration, culinary delights, beach relaxation, and hiking adventures.

Reply to: Not honeymoon, but a trip for just me and my husband advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.