We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryokan on train route between Tokyo and Kyoto

San Marcos, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
6 helpful votes
Ryokan on train route between Tokyo and Kyoto

My husband and I are traveling between Tokyo and Kyoto in November 2024 and we'd like to have the spa hotel/hot spring experience together. I find the onset idea intimidating as a plus-sized, tattooed woman so I'd prefer to do the naked bath thing with my husband to avoid judgement. We're looking for a place along or near the train route as we have very limited time. We have a mid-range budget.Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
21,329 posts
15 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: Ryokan on train route between Tokyo and Kyoto

I'd strongly suggest posting this in the Japan destination forums, ie Tokyo, Kyoto, etc as this is very specific to those locales..

Sounds very romantic - hope you find something!

Allen, Texas
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
12,518 posts
171 reviews
148 helpful votes
2. Re: Ryokan on train route between Tokyo and Kyoto

Couple of things make this a bit of a challenge…

Many onsens do not allow mixed-gender bathing.

Some do not allow tattoos.

However….

I believe Hakone Kowakien Yunessun (in Hakone) may have a private reservation-required bath.

Enoshima Island Spa has a suite (room stay per night) with an open air bath as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
558 reviews
143 helpful votes
3. Re: Ryokan on train route between Tokyo and Kyoto

We stayed one night in a ryokan in Hakone called Aura Tachibana. We were part of a group of 22 Americans, so they are used to us, including plus-sized people and probably tattoos. I mention it because, altho we had single-sex communal bathing (preceded by an etiquette lesson on proper usage and how to tie the yukata you are issued), as I recall, they had one or 2 rooms with a private onsen rather than the baths that everyone had access to.

Do remember that the ryokan experience includes sleeping on a futon on the floor. Some of the folks in our group had a little trouble getting down and up off the floor...

Allen, Texas
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
12,518 posts
171 reviews
148 helpful votes
4. Re: Ryokan on train route between Tokyo and Kyoto

Good point CV. If one doesn’t have functioning knee joints, Japan can be somewhat unforgiving. 🍸

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
14,252 posts
5. Re: Ryokan on train route between Tokyo and Kyoto

You will find one in Hakone. Post in that sub forum.

Reply to: Ryokan on train route between Tokyo and Kyoto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.