We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shady question about Sandals (pun intended)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
25 helpful votes
Shady question about Sandals (pun intended)

Hey everyone... and apologies for the pun!

I'm in deep reflexion about our next romantic getaway. We aim for the Caribbean, for a scubba diving/snorkeling trip, I did spot a few interesting islands. We know for sure that we wouldn't go to DR, Mexico or St-Lucia, because we went to all these places many times and often and want to try something new.

As for accomodations, it's been a couple of times that I've been eyeing the Sandals resorts at different spots, because they look oh so luxurious and perfect for what my partner and I enjoy (beautiful beaches, romantics rooms, good food, and ease to get diving equipement is a plus). However, we always end up chosing another resort for a very specific reason: shade! I've read multiple reviews about different Sandals resorts not having enough shade on their beaches (which, I read, leads to towel games at the crack of dawn, unless you get a room with a butler). This is a shame because my partner is as pale as a Twilight character. I also do not enjoy staying more than 20 minutes at a time under the sun.

We both enjoy relaxing at the beach, much more so than at a pool, so a beautiful beach without consistent shade is a deal breaker for us. And though I would be okay with paying a bit more for a butler room, these seem to get booked many months in advance (for next spring, they already seem scarce at certain Sandals resorts), or many of them are a bit over our budget.

So my question is: are you aware of good Sandals property who have consistently good spots with shade close to the beach? Even if you don't pay for butler?

We consider travelling during shoulder season (possibly April 2024). Any advice or exprience would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if you know of AI resorts in the carribbean of similar quality, I'm always open to suggestions.

Thank you!

4 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
48,211 posts
26 reviews
94 helpful votes
1. Re: Shady question about Sandals (pun intended)

Hello Solaris...

There are all kinds of Facebook groups for Sandals Resorts, both official and unofficial ...

Im fairly certain you'll find an answer about good shaded spots close to the beach, on one of them...

Something l do often when planning my own trips is to look for videos of the Hotels lm interested in, on YouTube...lve found a video of almost every hotel lve looked for on Youtube

Then ( hopefully) you can " see" for yourself if that property has shaded beach locations

Good luck!

Edited: 16 July 2023, 00:11
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
48,211 posts
26 reviews
94 helpful votes
2. Re: Shady question about Sandals (pun intended)

Also....

This is a thread l found...... " Which resorts have lots of shade" .....on Tripadvisors Jamaica Forum, which talks about Sandals Resorts, plus others, AND shady beach locations too...

Its an older thread, but does discuss your topic and l think you might find it helpful

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147311-i93-k11053233-Which_resorts_have_lots_of_shade-Montego_Bay_Saint_James_Parish_Jamaica.html

Edited: 16 July 2023, 01:42
Skegness, United...
Level Contributor
6,993 posts
40 reviews
144 helpful votes
3. Re: Shady question about Sandals (pun intended)

I find YouTube video tours of hotels are good for checking this kind of thing.

If you want something a bit different but is still AI then I can recommend Palm Island in the Grenadines, and IMO it's more romantic than a Sandals resort. We went there in 2009 and loved it.

https://www.palmislandgrenadines.com

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
189 reviews
249 helpful votes
4. Re: Shady question about Sandals (pun intended)

In Jamaica, I would say that the Sandal's with the most shade are; South Coast, Negril, Royal Caribbean. Ochi has shade but the beach may not be large enough for you.

Reply to: Shady question about Sandals (pun intended)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.