We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newcastle to Edinburgh day trip - advance tickets needed?

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Newcastle to Edinburgh day trip - advance tickets needed?

My daughter and I will be in Newcastle for a conference and would like to take a day trip to Edinburgh on Thursday April 18. I'm seeing some pretty expensive fares for this relatively short journey. Is this typical? Do I need to book in advance or is it okay to get a ticket at the station? I'm used to the seemingly much less expensive fares in Italy, so looking at 60 to 70 pounds for a trip like this seems excessive but maybe it's just the way it is.

The advance booking seems to limit us to certain trains / lines which also worries me if something goes wrong somewhere. Any advice? Thank you!

8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh day trip - advance tickets needed?

Lumo

Dep 08.42 from Newcastle

Dep 19.58 from Edinburgh

£39.60 for 2 passengers in total for return journey.

Use the National Rail journey planner for other times but be quick - fares go up and don't come down :)

J.

Edited: 22 February 2024, 04:42
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
86,492 posts
78 reviews
93 helpful votes
2. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh day trip - advance tickets needed?

I would book such a trip in advance if only to avoid the possibility of the trains being full and having to stand. These trains are not 'all reserved' except for LUMO, so if there are no seats, you stand.

It's 200km, a trip of 90 minutes by the fastest trains. Besides Lumo trains, there are more frequent services offfered by Trans-Pennine, LNER and Cross Country trains. Shop around at http://nationalrail.co.uk for journey times that suit you. I can see some advance one way tickets for as little as £12,80 with Trans Pennine.

But of course with an advance ticket you must travel on the booked train.

Torquay, United...
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
32,064 posts
45 reviews
38 helpful votes
3. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh day trip - advance tickets needed?

As for "something going wrong, somewhere" -

- if the train service is disrupted on the day and you decide not to travel, you can change your tickets to another day or claim a full refund.

- if your booked train is cancelled, you are allowed to take the next one.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
120,023 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
4. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh day trip - advance tickets needed?

The lack of flexibility with Advance tickets can be a problem if, for example if you are feeling unwell on the day or the weather is bad and you don't feel like going. Both these things have happened to me but unless I am feeling very poorly I go anyway.

I don't think I would pay the walk up fares for this journey unless it was some sort of last minute emergency.

Level Contributor
3,693 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh day trip - advance tickets needed?

But,

If they plumped for the £39.60 tickets now and something went wrong like weather/illness, at least it's not a shed load of money lost....

J.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
120,023 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
6. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh day trip - advance tickets needed?

Yes, that's the gamble when it comes to buying tickets. while I'm risk averse when it comes to many aspects of travel, for some reason I don't mind taking a big risk on train tickets! Maybe it's because my last big trip to London in January resulted in a 100% refund due to all the disruption!

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh day trip - advance tickets needed?

Thanks for your advice. I will look around the national rail site and see if I can find something that works for us and is reasonably priced. I had read some reviews on TA for the Pennine trains and was wary of booking with them, but we are taking the Lumos train from London so I will consider that route.

Barring being very ill we definitely plan on going. I was more concerned about taking a later train back to Newcastle and having to deal with a cancellation/major delay and being only allowed to take the specific train we booked. The fare restrictions are confusing.

Thanks again.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
86,492 posts
78 reviews
93 helpful votes
8. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh day trip - advance tickets needed?

Rest assured that if a delay or cancellation occurs, you will be allowed to travel on the next available train.

If though you miss a train for which you have an advance ticket through your fault , that's it gone. You have to buy a new one.

Reply to: Newcastle to Edinburgh day trip - advance tickets needed?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.