We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to reserve a seat on train

Wollongong
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
how to reserve a seat on train

I have just booked a (1st class) train trip from York to Manchester airport on 14/5/24. In the online booking process using the cymru website (as one of the recommended ones by The Man in Seat 61 - ironic!) The cymru website allowed me to select seat preferences, eg near baggage rack, forward facing etc, but when I viewed my ticket in my apple wallet there was no seat noted. I rang cymru to query if I could book a specific seat and she said it can't be done, it's on a first come first served basis. Just wondering if there is anyway I can reserve a seat as I don't want my husband sitting at one end of the carriage and me at the other. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

14 replies to this topic
Florida
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
1. Re: how to reserve a seat on train

I’m assuming your journey is on TransPennine Express and I believe you should be able to reserve seats.

Take a look on their website and see if it helps or use the contact to ask.

https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/

If you purchased Advance type tickets they usually come with a seat reservation.

Having said that I doubt you would have difficulty finding seats together, especially in 1st class but sometimes you never know.

Level Contributor
3,684 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: how to reserve a seat on train

What time are you leaving York and where are you changing trains?

J.

Wollongong
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: how to reserve a seat on train

as we booked through cymru website my tickets don't even state the train provider but I assume it's tpexpress. We leave York at 10.49am on 14th May, change at Huddersfield and again at Manchester Piccadilly. It notes there are no 1st class carriages between Piccadilly and Airport, we arrive at the airport at 13:15pm. Do you think if I contacted TPExpress directly they would reserve me a seat even though I've booked with a different provider? Many thanks for your help

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
86,438 posts
78 reviews
93 helpful votes
4. Re: how to reserve a seat on train

When I looked at that exact journey, Tuesday 14th May, on http://nationalrail.co.uk an alert came up that the whole section of the journey, from Huddersfield to Manchester Airport, will be by bus, going via Stockport. Which would explain the lack of reservations.

Then, on closer reading, that journey is very much cheaper than leaving York at the same time via a slightly different route. The normal railway route is completely closed that week as part of a major upgrade project. If my thinking is correct, part of the trip going that way (between Huddersfield and Manchester Piccadilly) would be using local trains that do not have 1st class or reservations.

I might hand back the first class ticket if that's the case.

A more expert view could come in useful here!

Edited: 21 February 2024, 21:39
5. Re: how to reserve a seat on train

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

Torquay, United...
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
32,061 posts
45 reviews
38 helpful votes
6. Re: how to reserve a seat on train

It looks like the train from York terminates at Huddersfield. There is then a non-stop coach which will take you on the motorway directly to Manchester Airport. On balance that is probably the best route.

The alternative route fro York/Leeds to Manchester is by slow train via Halifax and takes you into Manchester Victoria, you still have to get to the Airport from there.

You can check all this nearer the time.

Level Contributor
3,684 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: how to reserve a seat on train

Oh dear,

The poster asked about this particular train journey back in March 2023 :(

They are flying from Manchester to Athens to pick up a cruise...

J.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14,399 posts
118 reviews
66 helpful votes
8. Re: how to reserve a seat on train

"The poster asked about this particular train journey back in March 2023"

You must be thinking of a different post - the OP in this one clearly states "I have just booked a (1st class) train trip from York to Manchester airport on 14/5/24."

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
119,988 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
9. Re: how to reserve a seat on train

They did post about this trip in March 2023, Richard. I replied at the time. They have now bought a ticket as it was way too early back then.

It's unfortunate that the line is going to be closed on the date of travel. No one could have known that. In the circumstances, I wouldn't want a first class ticket when a lot of the journey will either be on a bus or on a train that doesn't have first class.

One thing I'm confused about and I'm probably being dim is the cymru website. Is that Transport for Wales which has a URL of trc.cymru I think? Not that it matters, really.

Level Contributor
3,684 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: how to reserve a seat on train

Cheers Roj !

I knew I'd done my homework... :))

J.

Reply to: how to reserve a seat on train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.