We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets - Copenhagen to Stockholm

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
50 reviews
70 helpful votes
Train tickets - Copenhagen to Stockholm

I'm wanting to book tickets to travel from Copenhagen Central station to Stockholm Central station on a high speed train on 25 April 2024.

I have looked on the http://www.sj.se website and there are number of departures listed but none are bookable as they all say "Not available - Planning in progress".

The website's FAQ page says that journey's up until early June 2024 have been released except for "Some departures are blocked due to track work planning".

Just wanting to work out when I might be able to book tickets. I'm assuming they aren't all sold out? Can anyone assist with more info?

Also, is it best to book on the sj website or is there a third party website that is recommended? I'll be using an Australian credit card.

Thank you

7 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
86,437 posts
78 reviews
93 helpful votes
1. Re: Train tickets - Copenhagen to Stockholm

"Some departures are blocked due to track work planning"."

That is why tickets for certain dates are not on sale. If maintenance work is planned, tickets will not be sold until the railway knows which trains it will be able to operate. April is a long way ahead. There is nothing you can do but wait and check back every now and then.

Third party websites are not recommended for train tickets. Several have very dubious reputations and are nothing more than travel agencies charging hefty fees for something you can do yourself for nothing.

However, I checked that date at trainline.com which is generally considered to be fairly reputable. They currently show all journeys on that date by bus.

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
50 reviews
70 helpful votes
2. Re: Train tickets - Copenhagen to Stockholm

Thank you cubsur.

I suspected as much re planned maintenance but wondered if anyone knew more, especially as tickets for that day were available to purchase when I looked a week ago.

I will keep checking as you suggest.

Re third party sellers ... I asked about this as I had read ManInSeat61 website mentions sj website can be fussy with overseas credit cards and suggested omio as an alternative. I do usually use Trainline for my Euro travel but didn't think they cover the Scandi railways.

Thanks again

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16,466 posts
38 reviews
52 helpful votes
3. Re: Train tickets - Copenhagen to Stockholm

" and suggested omio as an alternative "

Oh No, please avoid Omio at all costs!

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k14625916-Booking_train_ticket_through_Omio_com-Train_Travel.html

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
50 reviews
70 helpful votes
4. Re: Train tickets - Copenhagen to Stockholm

#3. Thanks, yes I found the same thread (and others) soon after posting. Surprised omio is suggested on ManInSeat61 website. I have just used sj.se website to purchase some other tickets I was after and it could not have been easier...simple navigation, clear options, easy seat selection and no problem paying with my Aussie card.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
10,453 posts
17 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Train tickets - Copenhagen to Stockholm

@6: If I start LionTravel tomorrow and pay enough money I get 'recommended' on that site as well. It's a simple matter of advertising. The man gets paid to drop the names and that's how the site is maintained. That does mean he's bound to 'recommend' certain shonky companies such as Omio.

Always take any company mentioned, especially on free websites, with a grain of salt. They're paying to be mentioned.

Welcome to the world of influencers :)

Edited: 18 February 2024, 22:34
Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Train tickets - Copenhagen to Stockholm

Their goal is to release in the middle of the previous month, i.e middle of March but it could of course happen earlier or later. Bookmark a search and check now and then. Their competitor Snälltåget has released their tickets so I don't expect any major changes due to track work, likely just small adjustments.

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
50 reviews
70 helpful votes
7. Re: Train tickets - Copenhagen to Stockholm

Many thanks Anders J, that is helpful and reassuring.

Reply to: Train tickets - Copenhagen to Stockholm
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.