We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
656 reviews
Uber

https://www.uber.com/ looks like a nice service (well, at least according to their website!). But I have no clue how it is in reality. Any personal experience to share?

Thanks

149 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
136 reviews
131. Re: Uber

Does any one in this forum , have experienced a REFUND for their GIFT CARD that was purchased online and did not work ? when approached to UBER did they refund OR transfer it ?

PLease help me , here with how to do that ?

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
132. Re: Uber

We pre-ordered an Uber last Tuesday night to pick us up 12 noon on Wednesday as we had a hospital appointment in town. We got confirmation that we would be picked up between 12 and 12.15. At 12.15 I looked up the app and the driver was 25 minutes away. He turned up at 12.45. It was fortunate we had allowed extra time as we thought we would have lunch out before the appointment. The driver said he had only been notified about the job at 12.10 when he dropped someone off at Watford Hospital. His sat nav took us round the houses and we were charged more than quoted. Unfortunately my partner will be attending hospital 7 days in a row every month but there is no way we would use this service again. I did e mail them twice with no response.

Mac
Hillsborough...
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,809 posts
62 reviews
133. Re: Uber

We had a dinner party last night at home for 10 guests, welcoming a classmate from Oregon. After dinner, he called for a Uber, while I insisted on driving him to his hotel at Union Square in downtown San Francisco. We were not sure if there was any Uber nearby, I live up in the hills in a small town. But one was nearby, $32.50 for about 30-35 miles, 45 minutes one way. Once I saw the amount, I said, take Uber, so cheap.

Another interesting Uber item, one of my guests is a current Uber-lyft driver, he has a physics PhD, I don’t know why he drives Uber, but he seems happy and talks about it openly. Heard some uber stories from him. Yes, we forgot he is Uber, an Uber driver was at the same dinner table while the other guest was looking for an Uber.

Also, Uber friend said he often decline these rides in the hills or mountains, roads are too dark and twisted, takes 10 minutes to go 2 miles, houses are hidden from roads, or houses are far inside through long driveways or gates. Scary for outsiders.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
134. Re: Uber

Seriously UBER! You are being cheated by drivers and it’s affecting your product and service. Wake up!!!!!! I cancel an UBER and I get a fine. However, I book Uber’s frequently and more often that not, they will take a booking and cancel (maybe to take a better booking?) on me leaving me stranded! What is going on? Do they get fined, they should to stop this, it is not healthy. You are a service driven business and the service is starting to fail. Up to you but other tech in play is looking more appealing right now. Thank me later. Lol

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
63,044 posts
175 reviews
135. Re: Uber

You should complain to Uber or post it on their Twitter/Facebook page. Posting it on TA does nothing.

>>>Seriously UBER! You are being cheated by drivers and it’s affecting your product and service. Wake up!!!!!! I cancel an UBER and I get a fine. However, I book Uber’s frequently and more often that not, they will take a booking and cancel (maybe to take a better booking?) on me leaving me stranded! What is going on? Do they get fined, they should to stop this, it is not healthy. You are a service driven business and the service is starting to fail. Up to you but other tech in play is looking more appealing right now. Thank me later. Lol

Mac
Hillsborough...
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,809 posts
62 reviews
136. Re: Uber

I never ever had an Uber or lyft cancelled my ride.

Could it be your past records or poor rating? judging by your post, this is a likely reason.

In the past drivers must take all nearby ride requests or be fined, but due to legal issues, drivers are “contractors”, not employees, they no longer have to take all calls. They can now refuse to accept rides, such as dangerous neighborhoods, far away countrysides, and troublesome passengers, etc.

They can refuse rides from bad passengers, passengers with poor record, previous confrontations, disputes, drunkenness, offensive or abusive. As you rate the drivers and rides, drivers also rate the passengers. Same as Airbnb ratings, guests rate hosts, hosts rate guests. eBay rates buyers and sellers, both sides avoid individuals with poor ratings. The rating system protects both sides.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,428 posts
189 reviews
137. Re: Uber

MrShaylor: My experience, yes it happens. Like you it makes me angry. My phrase for this is “Uber shenanigans”. For the times when it happens to me, I’m at airports. Sometimes the driver will attempt to phone in advance to question me where I’m going and see if I’m a short-haul or long-haul - which is against the rules. I will get into the habit of taking a screenshot of my confirmations and saving them. In the cases of cancellations, I will file a complaint against the driver because those drivers don’t need to game the system. Sadly, I also know some Lyft drivers do this, too. I will say this, however, the rate this happens has gone down - probably as Uber has improved the app interface.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
63,044 posts
175 reviews
138. Re: Uber

I thought that when you book an Uber trip, you need to enter the destination to get an estimated fare? Why would they call you to find out where you will be going?

>>>Sometimes the driver will attempt to phone in advance to question me where I’m going and see if I’m a short-haul or long-haul - which is against the rules.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,428 posts
189 reviews
139. Re: Uber

SammyF1oyd: Here in the states, the user and driver app interface are 100% separate. The driver doesn’t actually know where you are heading until you enter the car and the driver starts the drive. That’s why they call you to ask and seek a longer ride (more money).

Mac
Hillsborough...
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,809 posts
62 reviews
140. Re: Uber

My Uber app has destinations. I put in destination to get a price quote, then I request ride. That is the SOP.

In fact, on few occasions, uber drivers told me I can’t change destinations,

Couple times uber drivers at Newark airport asked me “Where To?”, I replied, “don’t you have my hotel in request already?” They said “usually should be there, but NO”. Other Uber rides at same airport had my destinations.

Uber SOP has destinations. Same with didi or lyft.

Reply to: Uber
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted