We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to work travel

Traverse City...
2 posts
New to work travel

Hi everyone,

I'm new to traveling for work and am looking for any tips and tricks to make it a little easier. For instance, how do you blend business travel with personal travel? What apps do you use? Are there any loyalty programs that are better than others?

If I have to travel for work, I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of it.

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel, Houston
Level Contributor
23,819 posts
177 reviews
131 helpful votes
1. Re: New to work travel

It's a very open-ended question. Have you done any research on previous posts here. This forum is not that populated as forums go. My one piece of advice is to start reading Flyertalk forums and pick a few travel bloggers to follow - like boardingarea has some I like.

Traverse City...
2 posts
2. Re: New to work travel

Awesome, thanks for the advice! Will check it out!

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
149,296 posts
8,713 reviews
4,249 helpful votes
3. Re: New to work travel

In terms of loyalty programs are there any hotel brand that you currently enjoy.

We belong to Best Western and its great on free hotel stays.

Marriott helps for reduced rates and not as goo as Best Western but free hotel stays too.

In terms of blending work and travel, similar to home. If your work is during the day, the focus is on night activities such as bars, movies, dinner out, going to the show, driving around town and seeing the city lights.

If book a nice resort, enjoy resort life.

If you are lucky and have some time open during the daytime, museums, etc.

Use the normal aps to figure out dining - yelp, best restaurants for the year for the place you are at

Mac
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
19,952 posts
62 reviews
102 helpful votes
4. Re: New to work travel

In most major cities, they have hop on hop off buses, buy the ticket and see the city in couple hours or more, get on and off anywhere.

Hotels have brochures for half day or one day tour, they will pick you up at hotel. There are also river cruises, see the cities from the rivers. I have also done helicopter tours of few cities, or hire private driver car/limo to tour the cities and nearby attractions.

Take train or fly to nearby cities or countries, don’t miss any chance because you may never be back there again. Bangkok, Hongkong, Tokyo, Paris, Rome maybe just 1-2 hours away. Just pack up and go.

Every dinner is an opportunity to explore a different neighborhood, make full use of that precious time.

I like to walk the city in early morning before work, just few blocks or miles from hotel. Walk the back alleys, narrow streets before people get up and cars coming in, quiet empty city streets have unique charm, I see more details.

Mac
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
19,952 posts
62 reviews
102 helpful votes
5. Re: New to work travel

Many major cities have free walking tours, search online to book. You join the group in city center plazas, lasting 2-3 hours, you tip the guides at the end. You are free to leave anytime.

Reply to: New to work travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.