We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

take some advisting stuff to Brazil

7 posts
take some advisting stuff to Brazil

We fly to Brazil for a business trip. We may bring company brochures(flyers)/Posters/Non-woven bags/small gifts in our suit cases to a show. We have a stand there. We talk business with the vistors. We put will put the brochures(flyers) & small gifts into non-woven bags & give them free to the visitors. So they could study our business well.

So could we see them as the EXEMPTION & enter Nothing To Declare passageway?

5 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel, Houston
Level Contributor
23,819 posts
177 reviews
131 helpful votes
1. Re: take some advisting stuff to Brazil

I've attended a few tradeshows as a supplier, so I will only offer my firsthand information. When I bring brochures or leaflets in my bag, I do not declare them. The part about "small gifts" or giveaways is the part I'd be concerned about. Particularly the full value of those items. In some cases, I think one would need to declare. Maybe the tradeshow has some FAQ's listed or search on the government website. Or just send those items via mail and follow those rules.

Mac
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
19,952 posts
62 reviews
102 helpful votes
2. Re: take some advisting stuff to Brazil

Nothing to declare.

I attended 100s trade shows around the world every year for over 40 years.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
80,610 posts
183 reviews
192 helpful votes
3. Re: take some advisting stuff to Brazil

Have you attended ones in Brazil specifically? Brazil customs is notorious for charging duties on lots of things. Our company exported goods to Brazil for years and it's always a pain to obtain all the documents for duty purposes.

>>>I attended 100s trade shows around the world every year for over 40 years.

I don't see the flyers/brochures being a problem since they aren't resellable or worth any money. As to the free gifts, it depends on their value and quantity. I suggest you check with the Brazilian consulate locally. One other potential resource is to ask an international courier like DHL or FedEx. Just pretend you intend to send these items using their service and ask them for advice on how to declare.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel, Houston
Level Contributor
23,819 posts
177 reviews
131 helpful votes
4. Re: take some advisting stuff to Brazil

SammyFD : Thanks for your own firsthand comments. My personal experience is similar. But I didn't want to override our resident know-it-all ;)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
80,610 posts
183 reviews
192 helpful votes
5. Re: take some advisting stuff to Brazil

I remember once our containers got on the boat, we had to submit the shipping documents and invoices to the Brazilian consulate. They would then need to give their approvals before the receiving party could take possession of the goods once the containers arrive at Brazil. Otherwise, the goods remain held at the port as they couldn't clear customs.

The high duty is also why many Brazilians like to buy portable electronics when traveling. The price without the tax can be much cheaper.

Reply to: take some advisting stuff to Brazil
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.