We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo ID proof for booking corporate special rate

B K
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Photo ID proof for booking corporate special rate

My company has been listed under the names of companies applicable for the corporate discount. When I book using the relevant code, the rate details mentions "Company Photo ID required during check in". However, I do not have a company ID. We only get badges to access the company location and even though the badge has my photo, it does not mention my company name. How hard are they on the photo ID requirement? I can show them other proofs like access to company email or my company laptop login or something like that. Has anyone faced this in the past?

5 replies to this topic
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
724 reviews
403 helpful votes
1. Re: Photo ID proof for booking corporate special rate

Never faced such an awkward situation. The highest level of control I could see was to have the booking sent from the corporate email address. I guess a business card would suffice.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel, Houston
Level Contributor
23,827 posts
177 reviews
131 helpful votes
2. Re: Photo ID proof for booking corporate special rate

Over the years, I have had to show my business card a few times. I suppose showing them a work cell phone could satisfy this if it had access to work emails or CRM. Sometimes my company credit card lists my employer on it, so that might be accepted, too. But I can’t ever recall where Photo ID proof was a disqualification.

B K
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Photo ID proof for booking corporate special rate

Awesome thank u Swissdiver and bk_t1. I can show them my work email, my work laptop, even access to my email on my phone.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
35,359 posts
4. Re: Photo ID proof for booking corporate special rate

Sounds to me like a typical communication misalignment between hotel group and company.

It's common practice for hotels to add the language - to 'qualify' - corporate rates by asking for ID or some other qualifier on each reservation - it's just a standardised practice to deter potential abuse of the agreement.

The language on the comments section of the reservation is triggered by the code you've been given, and the relevant rate code that it falls under. The hotel has no idea whether your staff are issued with ID or not. The other reason why each reservation is asked to be qualified, is to minimise someone in the company having to email an updated list of staffs who are authorised to travel under that code, each time someone travels.

The comical aspect of all this, is that so many hotel groups have this issue with their own staff discounts - as many of their brand properties do not offer staff photo ID. Occasionally there are issues with some reception staff taking the res comments a little too much to heart, but on the whole it shouldn't be a huge drama.

Edited: 1 year ago
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
80,613 posts
183 reviews
192 helpful votes
5. Re: Photo ID proof for booking corporate special rate

Apparently not in this case, but corporate discount codes used to get thrown around for everyone to use in America. In the Asia Pacific region, the hotels really do check.

Reply to: Photo ID proof for booking corporate special rate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.