We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Work From Home Advice

2 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
Work From Home Advice

Hey, I work from home as a QA Engineer here in UK (for a Californian company). They have an office here in Newcastle however are flexible with allowing employees to work from anywhere. I really want to move (maybe not permanently at first) to a tropical island, making most of working from home. Three countries are coming to mind, Sao Tome e Principe, Cape Verde and Mauritius (mostly similar time zones and quite cheap places to live - originally wanted Seychelles but its pretty expensive). Can anyone advise me on which of those countries are best suited? e.g. good internet access, great beaches, also not too touristic (I like mixing with locals and in my free time I'd want somewhere to hike, go to parks, forests all that stuff). Thanks.

Also not sure if I've posted this in the correct forum - please advise and ill move it if necessary.

Edited: 1 year ago
6 replies to this topic
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
724 reviews
403 helpful votes
1. Re: Work From Home Advice

Interesting topic. I would look as well at accessibility to be able to go back and forth when necessary. Sao Tome e Principe and Cape Verde might be more difficult although closer to the UK. Mauritius is very well linked by air. And it is probably more business oriented, which could help. Finally I'd look at the size of the island.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel, Houston
Level Contributor
23,826 posts
177 reviews
131 helpful votes
2. Re: Work From Home Advice

If you plan to WFH and not travel, then I'm not really seeing alignment with the Business Travel forum, strictly my opinion. In fact, whether short or long term this is likely more of a relocation question. As such, you might want to scour the internet for expat forums or look into the specific local destination forums for each locality, here on TA. Expat forums are generally good at noting which localities have better overall WiFi, and might offer some standard cost of living metrics.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
11,211 posts
101 reviews
142 helpful votes
3. Re: Work From Home Advice

You should put together an objectives hierarchy, choose your evaluation objectives including the major enablers and choke point objectives and then assess your ranked objective fulfillment score, with minimum objective fulfillment criteria as you have a multi-dimensional objective set and this is not a trivial decision.

Otherwise you would just get a collection of gut reactions such as mine...

Sao Tome? - Never

Mauritius? - Unlikely

Cape Verde? - Better but what is you get sick?

Maybe temperate?

Malta?

Edited: 1 year ago
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
11,211 posts
101 reviews
142 helpful votes
4. Re: Work From Home Advice

As I published in a paper last year...

Every major decision has issues that arise. You will need to ask 4 questions.

1/ Is the issue (uncertainty, ambiguity, threat) material to the decision?

2/ Can you do anything about it? (Mitigations, risk transfer, avoidance, acceptance)

3/ Can you afford to do anything about it? (value if information, value of control)

4/ the one people often intentionally ignore... What if you are wrong? (Pain and Regret Assessment)

And yes, this question does relate to business travel. The travel duration is just a longer one than we are used to.

India
1 post
5. Re: Work From Home Advice

Establish a routine: Set a regular schedule for yourself and try to stick to it as much as possible. This can help you maintain a sense of structure and balance between work and personal life.

Create a dedicated workspace: Set up a designated workspace that is comfortable, quiet, and free from distractions. This can help you stay focused and productive during work hours.

Take breaks: Take regular breaks throughout the day to stretch, move around, and recharge. This can help improve productivity and prevent burnout.

Stay connected: Stay in touch with colleagues and coworkers through video conferencing, messaging apps, or other communication tools. This can help maintain a sense of connection and collaboration while working remotely.

Set boundaries: Establish clear boundaries between work and personal life to avoid burnout and maintain a healthy work-life balance. This may include setting specific work hours, avoiding work-related tasks outside of those hours, and taking time off when needed.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
18,108 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Work From Home Advice

Be sure your employer is OK with this.

I work from home too. For a company that has a lot of employees that work from home. If you read the job adverts we publish there is always a mention that you can basically live anywhere you want, but it must be a country or state where the company has a legal presence. You are then put on the payrol of the legal entity in your country of residence, so that the employer is in order with all laws regarding for example social security and payroll taxes.

Also the pay is determined by the cost of living in your residence, so if I for example were to move from Switzerland to a much cheaper country I would take a signficant pay cut.

So do check that your employer is ok with it (and is aware of the consequences...)

Reply to: Work From Home Advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.