We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to France for work, extending the trip by a week!

Pune, India
2 posts
Travelling to France for work, extending the trip by a week!

I am travelling to Paris - Velizy for a work related workshop in June for a week.

I am then planning to extend my trip by a week to visit Amsterdam, Munich, Venice and Rome. Is it a good to cover all the places mentioned? Because I have to be back in Paris to fly out because of organisational policies. Please suggest if it’s a feasible plan and in what order I should be moving in order to have a budget trip.

8 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel, Houston
Level Contributor
23,816 posts
177 reviews
131 helpful votes
1. Re: Travelling to France for work, extending the trip by a week!

The question back is what do you plan to do and see? For me, I see 4 cities in 7 days, and that’s a lot of packing/repacking and time in transit. Now just because that’s not my personal travel strategy, doesn’t mean others might do more speedy sightseeing, but that’s just not me. If I were in Paris, I would pick 1-2 locations to visit. Maybe Brussels and Amsterdam because you can access them via train … get the other cities on your next trip.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
80,610 posts
183 reviews
192 helpful votes
2. Re: Travelling to France for work, extending the trip by a week!

Agree with Brussels and Amsterdam since it will get you back to Paris with a very reasonable train trip. Remember there are more than just big cities to see. There are many other towns, villages and scenic points.

Italy would require you to take flights. I supposed you could combine Venice and Rome by flying into one and fly back to Paris from the other. It does add more stress to your trip when it's only a week long.

Munich is the outlier in your case when it comes to logistics. I would not consider it for this trip.

Pune, India
2 posts
3. Re: Travelling to France for work, extending the trip by a week!

Thanks for that valuable input. I will tweak my plans accordingly.

Mac
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
19,952 posts
62 reviews
102 helpful votes
4. Re: Travelling to France for work, extending the trip by a week!

Munich seems out of the way, I’d cross that out.

Amsterdam is interesting and not far, but Italy is far deeper culturally. They are opposite directions, but not too difficult.

I fully understand the short hops strategy, as I do that very often for decades. When traveling on business, time is a luxury I do not have, 1 day 1 city or 2 days a city is very common or standard operating procedure for me. Nothing odd about it, in fact, when you travel with a tour group, it is usually 1 day 1 hotel 1 city. I always need to get back to office ASAP, short excursions are the only way, I’ve done that all over the world. 3 days short break is better than none.

I have made excursions to Venice and Rome several times from my business trips to Paris, Frankfurt and Milan, usually by trains, high speed or slow trains. Can be done and train travel is lots of fun.

Beware of Italian trains, give yourself extra night or day when returning to Paris flight out. I missed Paris flight due to Italian train breakdown and an Italian railway strike. That was very costly when I had to buy replacement one way air ticket for US$2,500.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
80,610 posts
183 reviews
192 helpful votes
5. Re: Travelling to France for work, extending the trip by a week!

Italian fast trains are very reliable nowadays. I have taken the trains myself many times. I have also been an active participant over at the Italy forum. Nobody talks about massively delayed or canceled trains unless a strike is happening.

For years, I did the one day per city routine. We would take a flight/train or two every 1-2 days for business reasons. However, there is no reason for a visitor to rush. A full week with no business commitment means you should take a more balanced approach. Try to spend more time seeing things instead of inside trains, planes and stations.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: Travelling to France for work, extending the trip by a week!

Great! Do visit Champagne, Lyon and some other major cities as well.

Sofia, Bulgaria
1 post
1 review
7. Re: Travelling to France for work, extending the trip by a week!

My coworkers and I took the fast train too! Everything started out well, we boarded the train and went.... But. near the station there was a car accident on the railroad track. My friends from Emat Bulgaria and I had to call a cab to get to the hotel on time. But it was not the fault of the railroad.

8. Re: Travelling to France for work, extending the trip by a week!

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

Reply to: Travelling to France for work, extending the trip by a week!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.