We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost headphones, hotel's fault and will not pay out

Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Lost headphones, hotel's fault and will not pay out

Housekeeping took my $350 headphones because she did not notice them in the sheets. I fell asleep with them on. They found them after I left. They sent them to me via UPS and they got lost. UPS sent us $100 stating that the hotel did not enter a value amount. The hotels says it did. They want us to take it up with UPS. It's been about 5 months of going back and forth with the hotel and UPS. The hotel guaranteed they would take care of this matter what twice and they did nothing. What can I do?

37 replies to this topic
Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
381 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Lost headphones, hotel's fault and will not pay out

Get the hotel to provide you with their shippers copy of the UPS shipping form indicating the above “standard and included” valuation. With that, UPS will pay the full value. I suspect however that the hotel did not insure for the excess (ove $100) value as it would show up in the UPS package record. Depending on the hotel and circumstances (did they confirm the increased insured value to you in writing ?), then they should make it right. Also, you might want to check your homeowners insurance if you have a policy as many cover personal property losses away from home. Good luck.

Edited: 27 September 2018, 14:05
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Lost headphones, hotel's fault and will not pay out

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. They said they entered the correct insured value and have contacted UPS. I keep following up with them and they blame UPS and take no responsibility. UPS tells me that they did not enter a value.

Edited: 28 September 2018, 05:21
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,291 posts
2,089 reviews
3. Re: Lost headphones, hotel's fault and will not pay out

I would probably say UPS is correct they didn’t note the value. Either u will have to keep hassling the hotel until hopefully they reimburse you or otherwise use your travel or home insurance to make a claim.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,394 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Lost headphones, hotel's fault and will not pay out

When you entered a value greater than $100, you pay extra insurance.

UPS paid you $100, less depreciation, the difference is not that big. You can fight on or move on, that depends largely on your personality. Maybe time to buy a new headphone.

I tend to just move on, it is just one of many small losses in life, life is full of major gains or spectacular gains along the way. Any one of my business trips or an hour is worth far more than that.

I hope the cleaning lady doesn’t get fired, people who do those jobs need the money and they have limited options in careers.

Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Lost headphones, hotel's fault and will not pay out

I'm going to fight it because when I first reported this, they laughed at me and tried to convince me that I had lost them. I don't think that's right. UPS did not pay me less because of depreciation. They specifically stated that it was because there was no value amount listed. I spent about $3000 there and how cheap are they that they can't take care of this.

I feel for the housekeeper but why does this fall on me. I did nothing wrong. I paid to stay at their hotel and they took my property without my knowledge or permission. Then tried to blame me.

I did some research and according to the law, they were negligent and 100% liable.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,450 posts
217 reviews
6. Re: Lost headphones, hotel's fault and will not pay out

“I feel for the housekeeper but why does this fall on me. I did nothing wrong. I paid to stay at their hotel and they took my property without my knowledge or permission”

Well, you and only you were the one who forgot to check the room before you checked out to make sure you had all your belongings.

No one took your property without your knowledge or permission. You seem to accept they sent on the item via UPS but in any case what should they have done? Left the headphones on the bed until they contacted you for permission to move them from the room?

If I had headphones worth $350 I’d take better care of them. Have you tried claiming on your home or travel insurance? If you don’t have either maybe your employer/company provides travel cover for business trips

In any case even though you might have paid $350 for the headphones how would the hotel know the cost of them (they’re no longer new after all). Once out of the box they’re no longer worth what you paid for them.

Time to move on

Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Lost headphones, hotel's fault and will not pay out

No thanks for your rude response without the correct information.

I did not check out and leave my headphones there. Housekeeping came early to clean the room so I rushed out so I could get it cleaned. Then my headphones went missing. I searched the room and my belonging thoroughly several times. Then I reported it. Then they came to search the room. Then they told me that I probably lost them somewhere else. I said I didn't because I always carry them in their case.

I told them that maybe they were caught in the sheets because I fell asleep with them on and forgot because I had to rushed out of the room. They said that was impossible but they would start an investigation. I THEN checked out.

I kept following up. I said I was going to file police report so I could start a claim. They told me to wait and they'll get back to me. A couple weeks later they found them in the sheets with housekeeping.

If a business sends you something and it gets lost, then you are responsible to cover that item? How does that make sense?

Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Lost headphones, hotel's fault and will not pay out

Thanks to everyone who was helpful! And thanks to everyone for writing useful reviews. If I had read the reviews carefully, I probably wouldn't have stayed there.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
381 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Lost headphones, hotel's fault and will not pay out

So it’s the hotel claiming they insured for full value and UPS saying they didn’t. Have you just asked the hotel for their copy of the shipping form which would show whether or not additional (over the included $100) value was added by them when they prepared the shipping bill of lading? Alternately, if the hotel won’t provide that, obtain it from UPS and see exactly what was entered. Clearly you’ve got 2 entities saying different things. You can’t go after either without knowing what was actually done. If the hotel didn’t insure for the $350. and they’ve advised you they did you would have a valid claim that the property would likely honor since they provided you with incorrect information. Either way, without having a copy of the actual form itself, it’s he said they said and I don’t think you’ll get anywhere. Good luck.

Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Lost headphones, hotel's fault and will not pay out

Thank you for taking the time to reply and help me

Reply to: Lost headphones, hotel's fault and will not pay out
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions