We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tumi VS Samsonite

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Tumi VS Samsonite

Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward to purchasing a hard-sided luggage for my trip to Europe. My concerns are durability, security, and aesthetics.

I'm currently deciding between the 'Tumi 19 Degrees Polycarbonate Extended Trip' and 'Samsonite Lite-Cube DLX 76CM'. I understand that Samsonite had acquired Tumi early last year.

Apart from their different storage capacities 85L versus 96L respectively I was hoping to gather some opinions on your experience with the brand and quality of their suitcases. With or without personal thoughts on the specific suitcases.

Regarding prices, I am able to purchase the Tumi much cheaper than a discounted Samsonite.

Thank you for your time.

29 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,609 posts
1,800 reviews
21. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

As for Tumi (now a division of Samsonite, we just had the expansion lid on our main case replaced for free,and it is about 12 years old now, and has flown almos 1M Mike’s.

Wife’s briefcase could not be repaired, but Tumireplaced it, with small handling fee - but, as stated, the replacement is now 4 wheel. Oh well, things change.

Hhnt

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,609 posts
1,800 reviews
22. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

Also, on the garment bag, we have had zippers replaced twice. Bag is over 20 years old now.

TSA loves to leave them open, and they tend to hang on the equipment.

Just some observations,

Hunt

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
381 posts
107 reviews
23. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

Find a zero Halliburton aluminum with wheels on eBay. Last forever - can’t kill them I’ve got a million miles plus on the ones I have but that’s just me. Obviously YMMV.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,390 posts
63 reviews
24. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

I was in Seoul on business last week with my son, I saw a suitcase shop, picked a big 25” silver hard case, he wanted 85,000 won, I said 40,000 won, this went on for couple minutes. Then my son showed up, he was just walking around the very busy and crowded Myeongdong area, we went in and out of the nearby Royal Hotel frequently on our own.

“Hey, that looks like dad!” “Take at look at this case!” I bought it for 43,000 won, US$39. “See son, this is how you bargain.” Very smooth 360 degree wheels.

It will last several years. I have another 25” hard shell 4 wheeler bought in Taiwan for US$45 3 years ago, still fine but both inside zippers gave up. I have 2 more similar 20” hard shell 4 wheelers bought in China for US$30, those are still great. No brand.

Edited: 27 September 2018, 16:54
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,007 posts
171 reviews
25. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

During a credit card promotion, I was recently given a free Delsey light-weight, hard shell suitcase with 360 spinners. Guess what? The casing broke after 5 trips! A few years ago, a friend of mine had a Samsonite Black Label whose wheels snapped off on the very first trip.

I personally don't buy anything too expensive either. I don't see the need at all. If I have to take somewhere to repair the case, I might as well buy a new one at a more reasonable price.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
381 posts
107 reviews
26. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

This seems timely / on topic: https:/…

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
655 reviews
27. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

"This seems timely / on topic: https:/…": Provided you believe in aluminium luggage. I don't...

There is an analogy between luggage and flights, I think. Choosing to fly low cost might serve the purpose as long as everything goes well. In case of problems, the passenger is left stranded and have to find alone a solution. A low cost piece of luggage is fine during its lifetime. What I appreciate with Tumi-like brands is the guarantee. They get repaired if not replaced for free... And this of course is reflected in the purchase price.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,390 posts
63 reviews
28. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

But for US$1000 a Tumi, I can buy 25 no brand 25”-29”(with wheels), they will last me 75-100 years.

I get tired of using the same stuff, trends change. I have perfect condition Samsonite, Porsche etc famous brands suitcases in my basement, I just got bored with them, or their 2 wheels are no longer as nice as 4 wheelers, or my size needs changed.

So the prestige or vanity factors count for 80% of the prices, 10% is the lifetime guarantee factor.

I love to see people spend big, absolutely nothing wrong, that’s how we make money.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,438 posts
105 reviews
29. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

I just got a Pelican Air 1535 carryon. I provided a detailed review in Travel Gadgets and Gear, but suffice it to say here, I'm pretty impressed with it. I hate the four wheel spinner fad, especially in cheaper bags as they break very easily and reduce space for packing.

I agree that expensive bags are a waste though I like my Briggs and Riley giant bag with the lifetime wear guarantee... and it needs that guarantee.

Reply to: Tumi VS Samsonite
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions