We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tumi VS Samsonite

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Tumi VS Samsonite

Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward to purchasing a hard-sided luggage for my trip to Europe. My concerns are durability, security, and aesthetics.

I'm currently deciding between the 'Tumi 19 Degrees Polycarbonate Extended Trip' and 'Samsonite Lite-Cube DLX 76CM'. I understand that Samsonite had acquired Tumi early last year.

Apart from their different storage capacities 85L versus 96L respectively I was hoping to gather some opinions on your experience with the brand and quality of their suitcases. With or without personal thoughts on the specific suitcases.

Regarding prices, I am able to purchase the Tumi much cheaper than a discounted Samsonite.

Thank you for your time.

29 replies to this topic
Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
105 reviews
1. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

You might want to ask this in the Travel Gadgets and Gear forum.

Personally, I would choose neither. I'd head to a discount store and pick up a bag there. I'd save the money for good food on the trip.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

Thanks! I'll do that!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

<<Personally, I would choose neither. I'd head to a discount store and pick up a bag there. I'd save the money for good food on the trip.>>

Sorry, Geomedic, but I must disagree. Good luggage will last many trips to Europe and will make travelling easier. Get some good stuff and you'll still be travelling with it 20 years later. Cheap luggage may not make it home.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
105 reviews
4. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

I have bough good stuff and discounted good stuff over the years. The discounted good stuff (Columbia or Nautica) has lasted far longer than the expensive good stuff (Briggs and Riley) I bought. If something "good" costs 10x and something discounted is x, x is the better option. Life spans of the new spinner bags, even in the Tumi line, is relatively short. I'm not talking cheap as in poorly made. I'm talking inexpensive. My Nautica bags have been flying with me for 14 years and I do a hundred or so junkets a year (up to this last year). The mid-value lines (like Columbia) are quite sturdy and when they are only $50, I don't really care about lifespan.

Edit: I will not buy a modern Nautica as they have gone downhill. Any spinner bag has a short life due to the levered forces in baggage handling.

Edited: 12 July 2017, 09:42
Davao City...
Level Contributor
3 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

I bought the entire Samsonite set when it was first launched. The features which appealed to me where the theft proof zip and locks, sure enough it works. The light plastic material used to construct the case is very durable and also equally difficult for any would be thief to poke into.

I am in Africa a great deal so know all the tricks that can happen airside as you are being messed around in immigration departure or cooking inside what is claimed to be a terminal and this case certainly deters most thieves.

Recently the programmed key code didn't work so I had to sit with cold beer starting at zero until the lock clicked opened, approx. four beers.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
655 reviews
6. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

Interestingly these are the two brands I am usually using now as Travelpro is difficult to find where I live. While Tumi represents a bigger investment, it is arguably the best choice. As many of you, I travel extensively, notably in Africa. I carry for now several years the same ballistic nylon large suitcase that still looks perfect. And if it wasn't, it carries a life warranty...The Samsonite I used had to be changed regularly, although I still use a carry on and a luggage holder.

What really annoys me though nowadays is the fact it is harder and harder to find two wheelers. And as I do not live in an airport, sometimes roads are cobbled or not even tarmacked... With a four wheeler, it is not very practical.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
789 reviews
7. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

Had Tumi and had it stolen at airport so I now avoid nice easy to recognize luggage.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
655 reviews
8. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

Well, this is why we have travel insurances...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,338 posts
66 reviews
9. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

The current models of Samsonite are a far cry from the 'old' cliplock shell only cases - the ones many of the airline crew are issued with. They were the toughest cases I've ever come across, and could take an absolute beating.

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
10. Re: Tumi VS Samsonite

What you looking for Brand? Quality, or just luggage for your travel purpose? for me all is same, damage at the airport...haha.. I have samsonite, Tumi and cheap brand..For Samsonite and Tumi I prefer on road traveling rather than use it in Airlines. Believe me I had experience with that.

Reply to: Tumi VS Samsonite
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions