We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

1 post
What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

Has it been more helpful for business travellers to use a kiosk to check-in and check out of hotels rather than having human interactions/interactions with the receptionists?

Does it actually save more time or has it been more of a nuisance instead?

Thanks.

36 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,195 posts
6,438 reviews
21. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

I have used one and it made me smile to get my key in a very short amount of time,

The line for in person check in was very long.

I got my key, went to my room, and enjoyed a nap while others stood and waited.

Edited: 01 October 2017, 14:05
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,372 posts
3,388 reviews
22. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

As an elite Hotel member, we always require human interaction to achieve upgrades.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
1,091 reviews
23. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

I like people better.They can inform you of any new pertinent info.

1 post
24. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

Gosh, I've not seen these yet! Not sure I want to be greeted by a machine if I've paid to stay in a hotel.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
381 posts
107 reviews
25. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

I’m in and out of hotels most nights of the year. If there’s a line at the front desk I’ll look for and use the machine, same thing with cars and flights. I just want my key and i’m good, don’t care how I get it.

Tiburon, California
Level Contributor
61 posts
296 reviews
26. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

Factually... there's no such thing as virtual hospitality. No kiosk will ever offer a better room, a free upgrade, or work with you to find a better rate or view. Period. For low rent properties, sure. But the only way to stand out is to offer service, and part of service is hospitality, and all of hospitality is human interaction. That's the only way to show how you are different from your competitors. Robot hotels serve a purpose, but it's not what the industry is going to go to, overall.

Edited: 13 September 2018, 03:36
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
854 posts
266 reviews
27. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

So far I'm not a fan.

I have only used self check in machines a couple times. From the ones I've used I find that it lakes the ability to physically choose a room like you can with an airplane seat. Additionally this is where front desk agents help as I can ask for a room on a quiet floor, or near the pool. I also have questions for the front desk agent beyond just checking in like restaurant recommendations, how to get to my room, breakfast time, etc. When I do self check in, I have to wait in line to see a person to ask these questions.

Self check out through an app or on the TV is extremely easy!

Fontmell Magna...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
28. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

Some hotels produce fast check out invoices and send them to your via email, having already scanned your credit card. Great for those who hate standing in the queue for reception but I recently found a nasty twist to this "time -saving measure" . My hotel decided to charge my credit card three more times after I had checked out. Luckily I checked my card statement and found the entries. The first two charges were familiar but the last was for over 50 euros and inexplicable. After an email the hotel agreed to refund the last entry.

What if your card transactions are not even checked by you but by you boss or the accounts dept? Who will ever know that you didn't have a massage, a nest of pizzas at midnight or a strange film? These hotels may be getting away with fraud or could a canny resident give them your room number.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,359 posts
66 reviews
29. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

Yes always advisable to check your folio

However, Express Checkout and Self Check-In Machines are not anything alike. The former is processed by a human, the latter is a machine

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,379 posts
63 reviews
30. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

In my recent multiple hotel experiences, many hotel no longer do check out. You just leave. I called the front desk, clerk says no need to come, just drop off key card or leave key card in the room. Charges are automatic and email over.

If you don’t look at your charge statements, anybody any restaurants any taxis could overcharge. That is personal financial responsibility.

I like new stuff, these are the ones I’ve used, automated cash foreign exchange machines, rental car kiosk, fully automated trains(Tokyo), self-Drive car, global entry kiosk, hotel check in-out, airport check-in, restaurant self ordering and payment pad on table. I like all of them.

They should serve food and drink in the air by robot or machines or whatever, there is no need to use FAs to do that, FA serving food and drinks are expensive waste of human resources.

There was a robot rolling around in Seoul airport luggage retrieval, tried but couldn’t figure it out. That automated train in Tokyo is really neat, used for years on my daily trips to/from Big Sight convention center, no driver, no worker. We always grab the first seats whenever possible, wait for the next train, run frequently, make commute ride like an amusement park ride.

Reply to: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions