We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

1 post
What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

Has it been more helpful for business travellers to use a kiosk to check-in and check out of hotels rather than having human interactions/interactions with the receptionists?

Does it actually save more time or has it been more of a nuisance instead?

Thanks.

36 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
30,090 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

I always prefer to deal with a live operator, no matter what "Self check" situation, be it a Bank , Grocery store check out, kiosk at an Airport, Movie Theatre or any other of the numerous places youll find this option, however if the queue is very long, I'll use the self serve /check

Why do you ask?... is this a survey?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,341 posts
1,800 reviews
2. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

I have not used a kiosk yet, but have used Express Checkout, with mixed results.

I tried Hilton's OLCI, with electronic key to my device, and was not impressed.

At this point, I still like dealing with a person.

Hunt

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

When checking out, I just leave, a bill in in my door or email to me. With Hilton, I do check in online in advance and pick my room.

I have used check in machine, no comment, no opinion, the check in is always very easy and fast for me at front desk.

I travel 3 months a year each year, all hotels are blurred into one for me, all very easy and uneventful.

Edited: 20 November 2016, 17:48
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,336 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

Sounds like a survey

The human interaction/guest services is the least of the issues. I've seen them tested for a whole range of accommodation, from pubs/inns to four star hotels, and it creates more problems than solves. Several well documented instances of the word getting out to underage guests, less-than-desirable guests, and the system is easy to abuse. I wont disclose those details here at this point.

Machines are also designed to handle the bare minimum, let alone deal with any complex issues. That said, these machines are rarely used in hotels where much is expected.

Edited: 23 November 2016, 00:29
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,004 posts
478 reviews
5. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

I tried to use one once. I wasn't very impressed. It eventually dispensed a room key that didn't work, so I had to plod back to reception for another one. Since then I've always gone straight to the human being at the desk. I'm sure some find them useful, but they are not for me.

San Francisco...
1 post
6. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

Agree with RojBlake. I like the human experience, especially at the nicer hotels.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
113 posts
131 reviews
7. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

The machines never seem to work and if they do something always goes wrong and normally i get blamed for not knowing how to use it correctly!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,004 posts
478 reviews
8. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

If a member of staff said, or even implied that I was to blame for something going wrong I would never stay there again.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,336 posts
66 reviews
9. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

In an odd and twisted kind of way, that's actually quite funny. Because the machines are in some part a replacement of the staff, and that experience shows you that the management of that property has probably made a wise decision in choosing a machine over their staff - they just need to replace the one that spoke to you

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
63 reviews
10. Re: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?

To bypass human interaction seems very logical, as a frequent business traveler spending 3 months a year in hotels, I have extensive human interactions all day, but I rather not deal with strangers in hotels or airports or airplanes. I often don't speak more than 5 words from leaving home to walking into hotel room half way around the world.

Airport check in in the US is already 100% automated, why not hotel? Buying most tickets is DIY. Check out in many stores are DIY too. Maybe auto pilot taxis too, taxi drivers are far more unpleasant than all others combined.

So why not hotels? For me, hotels are not fun nor some resort luxury, doesn't matter Ritz, Four Seasons or Hampton next to airport, it serves a function just like flying or taxi or subway, it is not a destination to me, not an "experience". Why do I need to interact with strangers? lowest level newest hotel front desk staffer I don't really want to know or chitchat or see again? How was your trip? Do you need this or that? Etc. the meaningless chitchats annoy me. My wife likes that, but not me.

Hilton always let me check in online and pick my room, same as flying. It is happening and will only expand. Most Love motels in Asia are fully automated, you never need to see or talk to anyone, some let you drive into private garage, check in and out automated.

But the machines in the US are still not right, takes years to improve them, but they must start.

Reply to: What do you think of hotel self check in machines?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions