We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goa?

Nottingham, United...
12 posts
Goa?

I’m considering doing a yoga retreat in Goa and would appreciate any feedback from solos on their experiences there.

I’m a bit of an over planner and finding the whole thing more tricky than my usual trips. I visit South Africa every year for safari and feel very comfortable with my surroundings, usual stays and car hire. As a (female) solo traveller, that takes away a huge amount of the pre-trip stress and worry. I keep switching back to booking South Africa instead so have come here for some advice.

8 replies to this topic
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Seattle, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
87,782 posts
23 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Goa?

Welcome to the Solo Travel TA forum. We can help with things concerning traveling alone, but your question is so specific, I'd hop over to the Goa destination forum and read or post there. suze

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,658 posts
151 reviews
197 helpful votes
2. Re: Goa?

Hello WildLaw & welcome to the solo forum.

I’m not sure what specific advice you’re looking for. Is it the actual destination of Goa, or information about spa facilities or retreats in Goa?

I’ve had a quick look at the spa forum,and must admit I didn’t see any posts about spas in Goa, but if you post a question there someone may reply.

As an alternative, perhaps the destination forum for Goa itself may be more productive. It would help travellers on that forum give you focused advice,feedback etc, if you could be clear on what you are seeking advice on.

If however, your concerns are not about Goa, but more about solo travelling , planning or anything else, then please don’t hesitate to ask here. Your fellow solo travellers are always happy to help.

Nottingham, United...
12 posts
3. Re: Goa?

Hello,

Thank you for the replies.

I specifically wanted to hear experiences of Goa from solo travellers (safety/ease/etc.)

I did post this in the India forum a while back but got so many messages (touting) that I deleted it and tried here instead.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,658 posts
151 reviews
197 helpful votes
4. Re: Goa?

@WildLaw. I had pretty much the same experience when I’d posted on the Sri Lanka forum. Although I’d still advocate reading the Goa forum for similar posts about safety, car hire , etc, you do have the option of also sending a pm (private message) to the local destination experts, called DMs for short. In order to get the help you need or want, I’d recommend asking very specific questions about your own needs.

If it’s any help, Goa has a large ex pat community, English is widely spoken, & a friends 72 year old Mum goes every year with no concerns ( now) from her family. Mind you, she doesn’t go to yoga retreats.

Goa has been on my bucket list for years mainly because it’s a relatively easy but still unique SEA destination,, the flights from the UK are (were) easy to book , Goan peoplere are I’m told , warm welcoming & generous hosts and the food is said to be fantastic.

You’ve said that you are an over thinker. Well as solo travellers I think we can all identify with that. It’s not as if you can bounce concerns, ideas or plans off the input of a travellling companion. But, as has been often said in this forum, we tend to regret the things we didn’t do, rather than the things we did by playing safe.

To me, your previous experiences of safari trips sounds wonderfully exotic, but a shade outside my own comfort zone. I think watching too many Tarzan movies as a child has scarred me for life! Silly I know, but that’s my foible.

You have the benefit of being an experienced solo traveller, umpteen research avenues, and potentially tailored personal advice. I hope this allows you a more reassuring experience with your travel plans. Go for it!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel, Houston
Level Contributor
23,816 posts
177 reviews
131 helpful votes
5. Re: Goa?

There are 2 ways to search for prior posts. First, from the search bar above - Solo Travel - just type Goa. This brings up posts here that mention Goa.

The second is to hop over the the Goa forum and search on the keyword solo or single.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g297604-i6045-Goa.html

Finally, as noted, there are several expat forums out there. Internations is one that I've looked at in the past, but I do not sign up for it, just browse. Reddit is also popular for location specific posts. Hope you have better luck in researching.

Edited: 20 February 2024, 08:58
Nottingham, United...
12 posts
6. Re: Goa?

Thank you. I’ll try one of the expat sites as suggested.

Mcpinder, I think your reply is exactly what I needed to read… “we tend to regret the things we didn’t do, rather than the things we did by playing safe.”

I’m encouraged to get on with it and go for it!

I hope you overcome the safari jitters one day. For what it’s worth, the worst thing that has happened to me (in 12 trips, including camping and my car breaking down next to a pride of lions) was a monkey stealing my lunch.

Thanks again. Safe travels.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,658 posts
151 reviews
197 helpful votes
7. Re: Goa?

@WildLaw. I’m glad to read that you’re more assured to take your trip to Goa, I have to say you’re a more intrepid traveller than me. I’ve had 2 trips booked for South Africa, ( Cape Town) but had to cancel at the last minute due to family circumstances and then Covid.

I’ll make it one day, but I’ll be travelling the wine route to Stellenboch ,and definitely not sharing my lunch with monkeys. Or being the potential lunch of lions!

I hope you enjoy your travels, whatever you choose. I take the view that I travel to suit myself, not to satisfy other people’s judgments or curiosity. Happy travels

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
8,922 posts
8. Re: Goa?

Sorry I don't know anything about Goa or yoga retreats, but just wanted to say hello from a fellow solo safari goer. Do drop me a line if you want any ideas for outside South Africa- I go most often to Zambia and Botswana. Coincidentally, I'm also doing my first India trip this year, but I'm sticking to something wildlife related and it won't be a solo trip this time. I'm going to this place which has been recommended to me by a fellow safari goer from India https://kaav.com/

Reply to: Goa?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.