We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveling destination tips?

Esztergom, Hungary
7 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Solo traveling destination tips?
Save

In august i will celebrate my 30th birthday. I’m looking for travelling ideeas, with some sightseeing and mostly relaxing on the beach 🌊☀️

10 replies to this topic
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,621 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Solo traveling destination tips?
Save

Welcone

It would help ALOT if you put a location in your profile. AND....

- state some budget/range. And if just for flights or what else.

- If you have a passport.

- how many days and or how long a flight..

Good luck

Canada
Level Contributor
19,669 posts
106 reviews
92 helpful votes
2. Re: Solo traveling destination tips?
Save

I see that your last trip was to Egypt. Is this the sort of location you are interested in. Do you know how hot many beaches in the northern hemisphere will be in August?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
30,954 posts
22 reviews
18 helpful votes
3. Re: Solo traveling destination tips?
Save

Welcome.

We need more to go on otherwuse we are just going to make random suggestions that won’t be relevant.

First whete are you starting from?

How far do you want to travel?

Types if places you like/have visited before?

Budget restrictions? Do you want somewhere really hot?

Help us to help you.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Seattle, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
87,584 posts
23 reviews
79 helpful votes
4. Re: Solo traveling destination tips?
Save

What is your home airport? What part of the world do you live in? How far are you willing to fly?

Welcome!

Esztergom, Hungary
7 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Solo traveling destination tips?
Save

Looks like i did not think this post trough, my bad! I live in Hungary, I’m good with flying, and it would be ok to travel 10+ hours, but would be cool to be under 20. I do have a passport. Would like to go somewhere hot and safe, and would like to stay in an all inclusive 5* hotel for 7-10 days. I do not have anything specific in mind, I’m open to suggestions, maybe some hidden gems that are not really known about, but worth traveling to. Thank you for the help!

Edited: 16 February 2024, 12:03
penna
Destination Expert
for Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
34,369 posts
53 reviews
25 helpful votes
6. Re: Solo traveling destination tips?
Save

Does it have to be Europe?

What month would you be going?

Have you thought of Morocco?

There are inexpensive flight from Budapest. There are also some very nice priced all inclusive hotels there both in Marrakech and seaside.

Esztergom, Hungary
7 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Solo traveling destination tips?
Save

I would like to go in august and it does not have to be in Europe.

I will look into Morocco, thank you for your suggestion!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
30,954 posts
22 reviews
18 helpful votes
8. Re: Solo traveling destination tips?
Save

In August i would stick to Europe - the med somewhere.

In the Caribbean it is the hurricane season, Monsoon season in Thailand, India etc and boiling hot in North Africa and the middle East

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,634 posts
151 reviews
197 helpful votes
9. Re: Solo traveling destination tips?
Save

Thank you Anita for coming back with more information. So, you want a good 5* hotel, preferably AI , hot and safe, and you don’t have any restrictions on flying hours.

August is still peak season in Europe and North Africa. Temperatures are high, and family travellers still dominate the market until later in August.

I’d agree with Morocco, including both Marrakesh and Agadir. Very high standards and quality, food highly influenced by French cuisine, and in Marrakesh itself, I’d say my hidden gem would by the stunning garden created by Yves St Laurent which is open to the public. You could do a hot air balloon ride from Marrakesh too.

I’d also suggest Sorrento, or the tiny island of Ischia, just a short ferry ride from Naples. Gorgeous spa hotels, but I wouldn’t suggest an AI, as this would deprive you of the opportunity to eat in some wonderful restaurants.

How about the Greek Islands? There are so many to choose from, but for good quality AI, I’d steer you towards Corfu. It’s a relatively small island, loads to see and do, some stunning beaches and has a greater variety of AI hotels. Or Rhodes? Your potential choices depend on direct flights from Hungary.

I have also been to Cyprus, and much as I’ve enjoyed my trip, picking a good quality AI with easy access to lovely beaches does require more research.

For me, Spain and Portugal are wonderful destinations, but, again, good quality AI’s do need rigorous research. Some are just huge buffet style bland hotels that are not particularly solo friendly, even if they are on a good beach or within striking distance of fascinating towns, cities or hidden gems. One of the bonus points for Spain and Portugal is the excellent transport systems that can whisk you away to the real heart of these places.

For more far flung destinations, I’d heartily recommend Mauritius, but as it’s an island with 2 competing trade winds, I’d suggest you check with the local forum about the weather.

As other solo travellers have mentioned, August is the beginning of hurricane season in the Caribbean. I’ve been in August and can say I was lucky as I only went through one full day of torrential rains,(in Grenada );but very high humidity. Same thing happened in Mexico, and Florida. A few thoughts about ‘5 star’. There isn’t a universal understanding of what that means. It’s not a common standard, as the term can apply only to the definition given by the individual local tourist authority.

From my own experience, a solo friendly hotel or complex rests more with the reviews submitted by other solo travellers and with the specific facilities offered by the hotel for adults.. These can include resorts that have adult only pools, accommodation blocks or designated adult only facilities. I also tend to look at the reviews submitted by Tripadvisor and bookings.com I find the Tripadvisor reviews to be more comprehensive as they can be filtered down to solo reviews.

And…..in some destinations, the ‘AI ‘ model isn’t always a good fit for the actual destination, especially in SEA or Europe.

One last word about safety. I can appreciate your concerns. I don’t wish to dismiss them in any way. Travelling to relax is a prime objective for any solo female. So, oddly as it seems, I’d suggest you consider destinations or specific hotels/Ai resorts that also cater for families. Safety and security is also the primary concern for families too..So when looking at reviews, pick on the ones that have additional adult facilities.

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
212 posts
21 reviews
18 helpful votes
10. Re: Solo traveling destination tips?
Save

Travel time from Hungary to the Philippines is under 20 hrs. if it's straightforward. But if you factor in layover time could be around 20 hrs. Weather during that time might be rainy or neutral since we are currently experiencing El Niño. See the probability here: https://bagong.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/climate/el-nino-la-nina/monitoring

That said, consider resorts in Palawan.

Reply to: Solo traveling destination tips?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.