We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London or Copenhagen- 1 Week in March/April

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
15 reviews
7 helpful votes
London or Copenhagen- 1 Week in March/April

So I’m thinking about planing one week in either March or April for either London or Copenhagen.

I’m no stranger to solo travel. So I’m not too worried about logistics or advice in that concern.

I’m just wondering which city you all would feel is better suited for solo travel.

I prefer to walk a majority of my trip. My last solo trip to Barcelona I was averaging about 15+ miles per day. So the more walkable the better. But I’m also happy to use trains, subways or buses when needed.

In terms of things to do… I mainly like to see what food the city has to offer, walk and wonder around streets looking at architecture and sights, the occasional art museum, and of course some night life.

I’m a male in his 20’s if that’s of any concern also.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,658 posts
151 reviews
197 helpful votes
1. Re: London or Copenhagen- 1 Week in March/April

Hello GrungeTraveler and welcome to the solo forum.

Both London and Copenhagen are wonderful cities, and ideal for solo travellers. You’d have no language barriers in Copenhagen (and obviously in London!)

If food is a consideration, I’d suggest London has the edge. Not only because of the vast array of options to eat around the world, everywhere from Sri Lanka, Japan, Brazil, the Caribbean but also the local Italian, Indian and Chinese restaurants. These include street markets, the usual burger places, museum cafes (very good food ) pubs, supermarkets with grab & go deals, as well as fine dining and calorific cream teas.

Getting around. Both cities have excellent public transport, but Copenhagen has the fastest airport to city centre links. This is because the airport is so close to the city centre, while London’s international airports are some distance from city centre. Linked by trains and coaches, but not nearly as close as in Copenhagen.

What to do and see. As London is the much bigger city, there is obviously much more to see and do. All the major museums and galleries are free, but you’d have to pay for any special’imported’ exhibitions. London has more public parks , gardens and public spaces and historic buildings.

Social activities and nightlife. Depending on what you’re interested in, and again due to its size, London would offer far more variety ,especially if you’re interested in nightlife, comedy clubs, theatre or pubs.

Walks, guided tours, scenery. The main tourist areas of both cities are easy to get into and out of. Copenhagen is far more compact, generally flatter, and if time is short, probably the easiest to cover.

Prices. This is subjective depending on your spending priorities. Food and drink is marginally more expensive in Copenhagen, and due to the lower volume of hotel beds, prices tend to be higher. Having said that, seasonal prices are pretty much equal in the low to shoulder seasons in late winter or early spring.

Weather, there isn’t much in it. For March to April, both have more or less the same hours of sunshine.

If time is short, I’d suggest that 3 full days in Copenhagen is ideal. If you have more than 3 full days, I’d suggest that London would be a better option, mainly because there’s more to see and do, & also because you could very easily take day trips to places like Windsor, Canterbury, Brighton , a day trip to Paris, or even an added 2 night trip to Dublin or Edinburgh.

For more information about London travel routes, options and general travel information I’d signpost you to http://www.tfl.gov.uk

You have an embarrassment of riches!

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,712 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: London or Copenhagen- 1 Week in March/April

Welcome

All most of us is doing is following peoples foot steps.

I also look at travel as WHEN, not IF. WHEN i will go here or there not IF i will go.

And you and others can put restrictions on yourself too. there are no travel police to stop you, even at home.

I started off in Eruope and learned the ropes so to speak. How to use a train and subway, was the ?? i had. after several trips i decided to challenge myself more and to again, get out of my comfort zone and switch to S.America. Language can be an issue, but im able to make do and get by.

I do alot of walking too. go figure. everyplace i have traveled to, i have walked. Some more than others. No travel police to tell me no. There was an incident in Prague where some tourist chained their luggage to a metro entrance and the area was blocked off while the bomb squad was dispatched. But few times when someone said no.

if it was me, would just do one and the next time you have this questions, do the other. Check one off, then work your way down the llst. The cool things about lists, is that they are yours. So you can also do a place thats in the middle or at the bottom. Or mix them up again and again and randomly pick here or there.

and to answer your question. Do both. Do one now and then the other. Ive been to both and then some. Its how i do things. And i travel fast, so i could do both in 1 week. Will everyone and their dog say its too fast. you bet. But again, i do fast trips. Its how i like it and i didnt know until i did one.

good luck

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel, Houston
Level Contributor
23,819 posts
177 reviews
131 helpful votes
3. Re: London or Copenhagen- 1 Week in March/April

**I’m just wondering which city you all would feel is better suited for solo travel.**

What does it matter what I think? But if you are asking, I enjoyed Copenhagen the one time I've been there, more than the many times I've been to London. Go if you wanna go, do what you wanna do. Mike & The Mechanics - All I need is a miracle.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
15 reviews
7 helpful votes
4. Re: London or Copenhagen- 1 Week in March/April

Mcpinder, that pretty much summed up everything I was looking for! I’m starting to lean towards a trip to London. It would work out better anyways since my airport has direct flights.

Thank you, and everyone else for chiming in.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,658 posts
151 reviews
197 helpful votes
5. Re: London or Copenhagen- 1 Week in March/April

@GrungeTraveler. Glad to have helped. I’d signpost you to the London destination forum, which is extremely helpful and fast moving. Before Covid, the London forum used to have regular monthly meet ups, which were always well attended by visitors and Tripadvisor locals. I’m not sure if they have restarted, but you could post in the forum.

The London forum also has many ‘trip reports’ and they can sometimes be a gold mine of useful information and quirky suggestions.

Good luck on your travels.

Edited: 04 February 2024, 08:27
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
15 reviews
7 helpful votes
6. Re: London or Copenhagen- 1 Week in March/April

Thanks will do, sounds great! Went to book my flight since my time off got approved and of course the price has gone up by $300 since a couple days ago. These airlines are damn crooks 😂

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
12,077 posts
84 reviews
80 helpful votes
7. Re: London or Copenhagen- 1 Week in March/April

Copenhagen is far more walkable and the Danes speak better English.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
29,303 posts
335 reviews
164 helpful votes
8. Re: London or Copenhagen- 1 Week in March/April

There is much more variety and more to see in London so I’d suggest that as your first trip, especially as, like me, you’re happy to do a lot of walking. Then Copenhagen next time.

The airline mislaid my luggage on my only trip to Copenhagen. It was only found when I checked in for my return journey. The weather was awful. Danish tourists asked me questions in Danish the entire time as they assumed from my appearance that I was local. In all it was a stressful holiday and as a result I’m not enthusiastic about a return trip. That shouldn't influence you though.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
15 reviews
7 helpful votes
9. Re: London or Copenhagen- 1 Week in March/April

Funny you should mention that, I’m off to London in a few weeks. I’ll make sure to leave a report for y’all when I get back. Any London suggestions would be great!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
35 reviews
12 helpful votes
10. Re: London or Copenhagen- 1 Week in March/April

I adore Copenhagen and would move there if I could. It’s an incredibly walkable city and a week is a lovely amount of time there. London is much bigger in comparison and you will spend more time on public transport getting between sights, but some of those sights are world class and unique.

I have write ups of both cities on my (free non commercial) blog wildrumpustravel.com which may help you with ideas and inspiration.

Hope that helps :-)

Reply to: London or Copenhagen- 1 Week in March/April
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.