We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody in Budapest between 6-18th Feb?

Cheltenham, United...
1 post
Anybody in Budapest between 6-18th Feb?
Save

I’m looking to travel to Hungary for the first time on my own, but would love to meet other solo travellers. I’ll be leaving from London UK. :)

I’ll either be there for the 6-11th, or 15th to 18th. :)

4 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel, Houston
Level Contributor
23,778 posts
177 reviews
131 helpful votes
1. Re: Anybody in Budapest between 6-18th Feb?
Save

First, welcome to the Solo Travel forum. It looks like you just signed up and posted. The warning I will share that it's so easy to sign up and post (100% unverified and unvetted), why would you even consider reaching out on TA or this forum to meet up with other travelers. My recommendation would be to find a platform who verifies their member's identity. You might consider looking at the Budapest forum and instead of asking for a meet up, ask where solos tend to hang out. Maybe look at meetup.com. For me, I do my own activities. I tend to find fellow travelers (if I choose) in a variety of places (hotel bars, local tour or activity, restaurants). But they are still unverified, so I still proceed with caution.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g274887-i263-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,634 posts
151 reviews
197 helpful votes
2. Re: Anybody in Budapest between 6-18th Feb?
Save

Hello bryony & like bk, I’d welcome you to the solo forum. I’ve been to Budapest 3 times now and can recommend it as a solid solo destination. English is widely understood in most of the city, but I’d stress that formal manners are more prevalent than in other Central European destinations. It’s a cultural thing.

I’d also agree with bk, that Tripadvisor isn’t an ideal way to find other solo travellers . This is because any one from the age of 13 can post here, there is no vetting process, so you never really know if you’re corresponding to a genuine person.

I’d suggest some alternatives. One way to meet other travellers is to check if there are free walking tours in Budapest. It’s much easier to find these by using a google search (free walking tours in Budapest) rather than using the Tripadvisor “things to do “ menu in the Budapest forum.

The actual Budapest forum itself may be useful for asking questions about local meet ups (if there are any) or locally bookable food/drink , night or behind the scenes tours.

It’s a lovely city and the outside spa’s are amazing, even in the winter.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,622 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Anybody in Budapest between 6-18th Feb?
Save

welcome

you may want to consider WHY you are traveling too. Some people think that travel will "fix" them or their issues. It may if they want to "travel" and havent.

I see meeting anyone as gravy. Is it planned, nope. can i plan for it, maybe. but i travel to see things i cant in my backyard. That is the #1 PRIORITY.

You can meet people at home way cheaper.

And why not head into the UK someplace. You have a great train system there and can do "weekend" trips or long weekend trips.

Do you have any interests? you may look at doing some. Maybe try something new? underwater BB stacking? ballroom dancing, base jumping, Hang gliding, bowling, spelunking, sailing...ect... you can do them at home and look for something on your travels too.

good luck

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Seattle, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
87,584 posts
23 reviews
79 helpful votes
4. Re: Anybody in Budapest between 6-18th Feb?
Save

bryony ~~ Welcome to Trip Advisor's Solo Forum.

I suggest you read an post on the Budapest destination forum. There will be more people there who know about the location, than the chance of someone here on Solo happening to be in that place on your dates.

Happy travels! suze

Reply to: Anybody in Budapest between 6-18th Feb?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.