We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska transporter and wheelchair

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
3 reviews
9 helpful votes
Alaska transporter and wheelchair

Via cruise,: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway.

First time traveling with these equipments. I thought maybe the transporter would be lightweight enough for the ship and then at the ports. But now I’m wondering if in port, we need something heavy duty. I’d hate to bring two. If we have to that’s OK. Once again, this is my first time, someone is lending us a transporter, so will have no idea about it until just before we board.

There will be a strong enough person to push either chair.

I was thinking about the terrain. The person can walk off the ship if the gangway is difficult.

Just planning to meander around. Not go to the glacier, not go on a bus. Slight possibility of going on the tram.

However, if we get too far, wondering how easy it would be to put either one in a taxi with three people.

Not sure to know if I can use a wheelchair or transporter in the rain.

We’ll bring a pillow to sit on, a blanket to keep warm and maybe some kind of plastic wrap for rain.

Anything I should know?

4 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
362 reviews
313 helpful votes
1. Re: Alaska transporter and wheelchair

That's going to be challenging, but very rewarding. You may get some help here, but other forums may be more useful.

I suggest you also ask for advice on the Cruise forum http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.html

And get help from local experts on the Alaska forum https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html

Have a lovely vacation.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
3 reviews
9 helpful votes
2. Re: Alaska transporter and wheelchair

Thank you I wasn’t sure about posting in the last one, so I thought I would come here to the disability group but as you can see, you’re the only one who’s answered. I’ve tried many different groups on different social media sites and I just haven’t received a specific response. I appreciate that you provided the links for these two other forums. That is very kind of you. And thank you so much for wishing me a wonderful vacation. Thank you.

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
108,863 posts
99 reviews
640 helpful votes
3. Re: Alaska transporter and wheelchair

"I would come here to the disability group but as you can see, you’re the only one who’s answered."

Hi RachelSFnative;

FYI...

This forum is more focused on travelling with disabilities in general. For questions about travelling to a specific destination, you can use the destination forum, as was suggested above by my esteemed colleague.

Best Regards

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
159,930 posts
8,714 reviews
4,257 helpful votes
4. Re: Alaska transporter and wheelchair

Let the cruise line know - you won't be the only one who will be using these on the cruise boats.

If you need assistance getting on and off the boat, the staff will assist

In terms of excursions, etc. it depends what you want to do.

For instance, if you are doing the train in Skagway, it meets right by the cruise ships and its level to get to the train.

I would also ask your cruise ship line about any specific details. they are there to assist

https://www.disabledholidays.com/search/accessible-cruises-l196/alaska-l805/

Reply to: Alaska transporter and wheelchair
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.