We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled parking in California

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Disabled parking in California

Hi there! Planning a road trip around California which will include car rental. Does anyone have any info on parking? Can I bring my blue badge from the UK or will that not be recognised? Will I have to just park in regular bays?

Also if anyone has any California travel tips (accessible public transport, concessions for attractions, best wheelchair accessible sights etc) then please feel free to share! :)

3 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
113 reviews
48 helpful votes
1. Re: Disabled parking in California

Will you visit San Francisco? Here the tourist destinations are accessible except cable cars and streetcar line F as they are historical. The same for stores, pharmacies, restaurants, hotels. If you need a fully accessible room, confirm with the hotel. Buses have a platform that opens up for a wheelchair to roll in.

Yes, you can use the blue badge, but there are not many designated places. Many times friends would drop me off at the entrances and go find regular parking.

Manchester, United...
2 posts
2. Re: Disabled parking in California

This is helpful thanks! San Francisco is actually our first stop, so I think we might use public transport there and then pick up a hire car on our way out. We’ll spend a few days travelling down to LA then across to Yosemite and back to San Fran via Sacramento :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
3 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Disabled parking in California

Yes, San Francisco has excellent public transportation. We always stress to people it’s better not to have a car in San Francisco.

You can park at parking meters for free.

You can park at the blue sign/curb that is for handicap parking.

There’s a lot of nuances and I need to verify them, so I’ll probably just PM you let me know when you’re coming it’s easier for me to to talk than to type it all out.

Reply to: Disabled parking in California
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.