We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long term travel with medication

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Long term travel with medication

I'm looking into taking a career break and travelling (mainly) South & Central America for a year. However I take daily epilepsy medication. I know that I can take 3 months worth of medication with me and 3 months worth into most countries but is there a way I am able to get my medication whilst travelling?

So far I have been unable to find a way and am thinking I will only be able to travel 3 months at a time and will have to fly home for my meds

3 replies to this topic
West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
108,585 posts
99 reviews
638 helpful votes
1. Re: Long term travel with medication

Hi Poppy;

I can't answer about South & Central America, however, if you were visiting Canada, you would need to see a Canadian Doctor and get new prescriptions to be able to obtain your meds at a pharmacy here.

Best Regards

Province of...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland, Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
39,656 posts
329 reviews
228 helpful votes
2. Re: Long term travel with medication

Same for Ireland and the U.K., long waits to be seen at hospitals in England.

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
362 reviews
313 helpful votes
3. Re: Long term travel with medication

You need to check on travel insurance as well.

We have to pay extra premium if we're out of our home country for more than 60 days.

It may be possible to see a doctor in the country you intend to visit.

You'll get better advice from local experts by asking in the destination forum.

To find the destination forum Google tripadvisor forum country

It's a challenging trip which requires determination and planning. Hope you can get it to work.

Reply to: Long term travel with medication
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.