We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair accessible travel

3 posts
Wheelchair accessible travel

I am looking for recommendations for an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean or Mexico. I am travelling with my senior mother who uses a wheelchair and Walker. I almost booked a resort in Cayo Coco and then read that the airport does not use ramps, only stairs which would be too much for her to do.

1 reply
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
362 reviews
313 helpful votes
1. Re: Wheelchair accessible travel

Hi Tania, and welcome to the forum

Airports which use steps to the aircraft usually have a special vehicle for the disabled, which has a built in lift so a wheelchair can be taken right to the plane. So you are probably OK for that airport, but would be wise to check out the airport's website, possibly phone if not clear. You could try asking on the destination forum, not sure if you'd get an answer that way.

After you've booked your flight, you need to contact the airline and ask for special assistance, as your mother will need a wheelchair at the airport.

I see you've already asked for suggestion on the Carribean forum, that's great. Destination forums are normally the best place for getting advice on specific areas.

I'm sure you'll get something sorted, and do have a great time.

Reply to: Wheelchair accessible travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.