We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special Assistance Arrival BHX Birmingham Ryanair Spain

Province of Girona...
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
34 reviews
22 helpful votes
Special Assistance Arrival BHX Birmingham Ryanair Spain

I need to arrange Special Assistance for a passenger who struggles to climb stairs. If I remember correctly Ryanair do not pay for air bridges at BHX and the walk to passport control tends to be long and steep. My last flights were from Spain and France many months ago, so I could be wrong.

Please can anyone give details of how things work on arrival. I am guessing the rear door food lift is used, as on full service airlines for UM , unaccompanied minors, then wheelchair, but if wheelchair is not required, can you walk out via an alternative route with elevator in the building. TIA

The more information the better, to soothe nerves 😟

2 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,401 posts
362 reviews
313 helpful votes
1. Re: Special Assistance Arrival BHX Birmingham Ryanair Spain

Budget airlines do not normally use airbridges.

You'll need to notify Ryanair that the passenger needs special assistance. You can then explain the issue, but they may prefer that he uses a wheelchair, even if he doesn't really need one, as it will simplify the transfer. I know people can use the lift even if not in a wheelchair, my wife accompanies me, but your passenger will need an attendant to get him on and off the vehicle anyway.

I have heard of people who just get on the lift to save time on arrival! But I wouldn't reccommend it for your friend, he really ought to get proper assistance to make sure the lift is there.

In the end, it's the airport which supplies special assistance as requested by the airline. So notify the airline, and they'll take care of things. I've found that flying now I'm disabled is much lower stress than it used to be. Don't worry, he'll get the help he needs.

Edited: 04 December 2023, 04:27
London, England
Level Contributor
14,163 posts
72 reviews
70 helpful votes
2. Re: Special Assistance Arrival BHX Birmingham Ryanair Spain

You need to arrange Special Assistance via Ryanair’s SA department. All details on their website.

I use it all the time with various airlines and never have a problem.

Reply to: Special Assistance Arrival BHX Birmingham Ryanair Spain
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.