We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destinations with limited walking

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
239 reviews
146 helpful votes
Destinations with limited walking

Please has anyone hired a mobility scooter for a trip overseas?

We successfully hired a scooter in both Seville and Cala Bona (Majorca) but are seeking other places to visit.

It's just too much effort to take one from home on a plane.

6 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
362 reviews
313 helpful votes
1. Re: Destinations with limited walking

Not sure if anybody here is going to be able to help.

It may be best to find some places you'd like to visit, then ask in the destination forums for those towns, where you'll get advice from local experts who will know what's available, and how disabled friendly the town is.

As an experienced TA user, you'll know this forum is just a small part of TA which is a general travel site. You might get more help from a forum which is aimed at the disabled.

My wife suggested Scope https://forum.scope.org.uk/

There is also this Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/DHorizonsTribe/

I can understand your concerns about taking your scooter abroad, and I'm sure you'll find good alternatives. Do check on third party insurance when using the scooter, just makes sure your holiday is low stress.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
29,302 posts
335 reviews
164 helpful votes
2. Re: Destinations with limited walking

Florida?

After an accident a few weeks before travelling I thought I was ok. Boarded the plane in the U.K. but by the time I arrived I could barely walk. Hiring a wheelchair was really easy. Scooters were also available either for the whole time or as one offs in shopping malls, theme parks etc

The aisles in shops and everywhere really were wide enough for a novice user to get around easily.

Good luck finding what you need where you need it.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
75 reviews
59 helpful votes
3. Re: Destinations with limited walking

Here in Williamsburg, Virginia there are two companies supplying rental mobility devices/scooters to visitors and tourists to the area. They will deliver to local hotels.

London, England
Level Contributor
14,163 posts
72 reviews
70 helpful votes
4. Re: Destinations with limited walking

I take my small mobility scooter abroad very frequently with no problem whatsoever. It has good insurance with third party liability.

It’s good to know the capability of my own scooter and to have the comfort of suspension. I also carry a spare battery with me, so little chance of running out.

There are plenty of places to visit with long promenades and suitability for scooters.

France and Spain are particularly accessible.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
239 reviews
146 helpful votes
5. Re: Destinations with limited walking

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Hopefully the walking problem will eventually be resolved with knee surgery, but who knows when that might be.

We have a basic scooter here at home, but don't want to spend money on buying another one, so hiring something decent has worked so far in Spain.

Also open to UK resorts with level pathways. Exmouth was very good, as is Bournemouth. We took our own scooter to these places, and also on a cruise from Southampton.

London, England
Level Contributor
14,163 posts
72 reviews
70 helpful votes
6. Re: Destinations with limited walking

Places in Kent like Herne Bay have long promenades. The New Forest National Park has lots of accessible walking trails.

There are lots of excellent disused railway lines that have been converted into walkways.

The National Trust have lots of suitable places.

The Canals and Rivers Trust.

Etc, etc

There are hundreds of places both home and abroad. You need to do a bit of research.

Reply to: Destinations with limited walking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.