We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

assistance through security at Manchester Airport

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
882 posts
75 reviews
108 helpful votes
assistance through security at Manchester Airport

We will be travelling with Singapore Airlines in Feb 2024 from Manchester UK to Perth in Australia. We will have a connecting flight in Changi.

My husband uses a mobility scooter and also has lots of medications including morphine. Consequently security has always been very stressful as his medications get picked out at x-ray.

He gets taken away and I am left to deal with the bags etc through security plus deal with all the checks on his medication. Due to my own arthritis, I am not fast at getting everything into trays and repacked afterwards. Since our last trip in 2019, my condition has deteriorated and I am very worried about coping fast enough to keep the other passengers happy.

I will have my daughter with me this time who can help a bit, but she will have her own luggage to deal with plus 6yr old twin boys, so the help she can give will be limited.

Is there any assistance available from staff to help me get through? If so, how would I go about arranging it?

6 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,401 posts
362 reviews
313 helpful votes
1. Re: assistance through security at Manchester Airport

Is the problem that the medications are fluid, and so normally not allowed in hand baggage, or because it's morphine?

I assume he'll be taken through in a wheelchair as a case of special needs. You need to alert the attendant that you'll struggle with the hand baggage.

If he wants to use his mobility scooter and you don't have someone to help you I can see it's difficult.

In the end, it's not your problem. The disabled do take longer than is reasonable, be apologetic but don't worry, it's not your fault you're in this position.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
882 posts
75 reviews
108 helpful votes
2. Re: assistance through security at Manchester Airport

The medications are both fluid morphine and in tablet form too. They usually take the liquid one away to test which I find understandable, but it all takes longer. I will explain to the staff that I need help and see what happens. I just hate holding people up. Thank you for your reply.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: assistance through security at Manchester Airport

Have you tried contacting the airline to request assistance? My understanding is they will arrange it. A Google search turned up some Manchester specific links which included some general assistance info including that you can request a private screening room.

https://www.ego.net/manchester/disabled.htm#:~:text=Disabled%20travellers%20who%20require%20assistance,the%20Bus%20and%20Rail%20Station.

https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/help/special-assistance/at-manchester-airport/

https://www.manchester-airport-guide.co.uk/disabled-facilities.html#:~:text=are%20not%20staffed.-,Security,is%20always%20seating%20close%20by.

Edited: 19 November 2023, 01:04
Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: assistance through security at Manchester Airport

Sorry - you'll need to copy and paste a couple of those links into your browser bar.

London, England
Level Contributor
14,163 posts
72 reviews
70 helpful votes
5. Re: assistance through security at Manchester Airport

I’m sure Manchester airport is like the large airports in the south where Special Assistance have a reception area.

You will already have booked your SA. so you will be on their list. When you get to the SA desk explain you need extra help and they will supply it.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
882 posts
75 reviews
108 helpful votes
6. Re: assistance through security at Manchester Airport

Thank you for all your replies, I will check the links provided.

Reply to: assistance through security at Manchester Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.