We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travels with a Guide Dog - Spain?

Kirkwall, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
93 reviews
67 helpful votes
Travels with a Guide Dog - Spain?

Hi TA Gurus,

My husband and I have traveled in the past to Malta, Spain, London, the US and although he had a guide dog we were able to leave him at home with our neighbours. I have now retired and my husband's vision has deteriorated to the point where he needs his Guide Dog. We would like to head over to somewhere warmer and dryer for 4- 6 weeks in the winter so we can escape the brutal Scottish weather for a bit. We did enjoy Malaga City in January/February a few years back but husband thinks he won't be able to enjoy the museums like he used to.

We want to keep all plane travel around the 3 hour mark from Mainland Scotland aero ports. Anyone have any dry and warm and flat locations that they can recommend that are Guide Dog friendly? Guide dog is a largish German Shepherd /Retreiver cross.

If anyone has any Guide Dog experiences they can share, we would really appreciate it. We have only traveled with our boy locally. He does fine on our inter-island planes and the slightly larger inter - Scotland flights but they are only an hour.

Thanks,

SL

3 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
362 reviews
313 helpful votes
1. Re: Travels with a Guide Dog - Spain?

Not sure if we have anybody here who uses a guide dog. If you don't get any comments here, you could contact whoever trained the dog for advice.

I suggest you also ask in the destination forum, so you get advice for that country, for Spain it's https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g187427-i42-Spain.html

I assume your dog has been microchipped and vaccinated against rabies.

Hope you get it all sorted, and have a lovely time in the warmth.

London, England
Level Contributor
14,163 posts
72 reviews
70 helpful votes
2. Re: Travels with a Guide Dog - Spain?

I think you need to contact the Spanish Consulate for proper advice. I don’t think the majority of contributors here will know the answer.

Or even contact Guide Dogs for the Blund.

Southport, United...
Destination Expert
for Southport
Level Contributor
4,204 posts
3. Re: Travels with a Guide Dog - Spain?

I imagine you’ve already seen this but just in case

https://www.guidedogs.org.uk/getting-support/information-and-advice/travelling-with-your-assistance-dog/travel-by-air/

I found this

https://growingupguidepup.org/service-dogs-in-spain/

Reply to: Travels with a Guide Dog - Spain?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.