We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling on Italian trains with a mobility scooter

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
25 helpful votes
Traveling on Italian trains with a mobility scooter

My husband has a lung disease that prohibits him from walking any distance so we will be taking a mobility scooter to Europe in April 2024. I have seen information regarding using scooters in France and England on this forum, but not Italy. We plan to cruise to Rome from the US and then spend several days in Naples, Rome, Florence and then on to Paris and England. Are most of the Trenitalia stations and trains accessible? I've researched and found info on attractions, but very little info on getting around in the cities or even how to hire accessible transport. Any help would be appreciated.

4 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
362 reviews
313 helpful votes
1. Re: Traveling on Italian trains with a mobility scooter

This forum is about general problems for the disabled, although sometimes we can help with specific destinations, if we know them. You'll get better advice from local experts by asking in the destination forum.

In your case, try the Italy forum at https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g187768-i20-Italy.html

Or for specific cities in Italy use Google and enter tripadvisor forum city name

I'm sure you'll get some good help, and wish you a lovely holiday.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,066 posts
28 reviews
47 helpful votes
2. Re: Traveling on Italian trains with a mobility scooter

This may be a useful link@

https://www.seat61.com/european-train-travel-with-special-needs.htm

and of course the destination forums referred to by HeatSeeker

Edited: 24 August 2023, 21:06
1 post
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Traveling on Italian trains with a mobility scooter

Hi - i see you are going to Italy this month. HAve you found answers? My sister is limited to a mobility scooter and i'm having trouble finding any information and we want to book our train tickets.

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
362 reviews
313 helpful votes
4. Re: Traveling on Italian trains with a mobility scooter

Hi Juliet, shaylac49 hasn't been active on TripAdvisor since July last year, so may not see your message.

You could try sending a personal message. If you’re using a phone, click on the avatar, and you’ll see a link to Message.

Using the full version of TripAdvisor on a computer or tablet, click on the poster's name on his post. This opens his profile, in the top right you'll see the word Follow, alongside (to the right) there's a message icon. Click on that, and a form opens, so you can message him.

Reply to: Traveling on Italian trains with a mobility scooter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.