We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recliners in Motel, Hotel rooms and or Air BnB's

Brooklyn, Iowa
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
1 helpful vote
Recliners in Motel, Hotel rooms and or Air BnB's

My husband cannot sleep in a regular bed, he must sleep in a recliner, we do take a XL gravity chair for just 1 night stays along with a small mattress along with blankets and pillows to make him comfortable. Does anyone know of a certain chain that actually still has a room or 2 with a recliner. I would appreciate the information. Also was wonder if you request a place from Airbnb, VRBO etc with a recliner so that we could possibly do more traveling in our retired years as I just retired a couple of days ago. Any information regarding traveling and requiring a recliner for sleeping would be appreciated. Julie B

17 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
362 reviews
313 helpful votes
1. Re: Recliners in Motel, Hotel rooms and or Air BnB's

Hi Julie,

This was discussed some time ago http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12336-k10718563-o10-Hotels_with_recliners-Traveling_With_Disabilities.html but I don't think there's any really satisfactory answer.

Best advice might be to contact a hotel which looks suitable and see what they say.

As you'll see from other threads about recliners (search this forum for recliners) this is an issue for quite a few, but there are no simple answers. I do hope you get something sorted.

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
167 reviews
102 helpful votes
2. Re: Recliners in Motel, Hotel rooms and or Air BnB's

You could pre-book your Air Bnbs and just contact the owner and ask specifically for this. You can also filter by things like accessibility and stairs.

It will take a bit of time but you could organise it all from home before you go. I traveled with my Mum in 2019 and she can’t do stairs so I contacted almost all of the owners before booking. Best to contact a few for each place as they don’t all reply.

Brooklyn, Iowa
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Recliners in Motel, Hotel rooms and or Air BnB's

Thank you for responding to our dilemma, I know when he first hurt his back, we had no problem in finding a motel or hotel with at least 3 rooms that had a recliner, all I had to do is ask, but now it is very tough and I have not been able to find one yet. This is really too bad and sad, My husband an I are actually held back from traveling and I truly believe we are not the only ones. I just hope people keep suggesting and asking for recliners and hopefully more Motel/Hotel Chains will get at least 2 and put them in rooms for people that physically need them, I consider this a handicapped request.

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
14,521 posts
4. Re: Recliners in Motel, Hotel rooms and or Air BnB's

Have you considered renting an RV? I think you can fit a recliner in one.

2 posts
5. Re: Recliners in Motel, Hotel rooms and or Air BnB's

Its definitely a problem for me too! Trying to find one now without Having to rent a condo😪

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
162 reviews
73 helpful votes
6. Re: Recliners in Motel, Hotel rooms and or Air BnB's

Recliners are hard to find in VRBO and AirBnB rentals too. My husband prefers to sit in a recliner, not because of health issues but just because he likes them. We mostly stay in rentals when we travel because I hate hotels (too noisy). I wonder if recliners break too easily to make them worthwhile to have in rental lodging? Or maybe it’s because they are expensive? My in-laws rented condos in Florida in the winter, and they always rented a recliner for my FIL. That might be an option for you for longer-term stays in condo or house rentals.

Edited: 1 year ago
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
162 reviews
73 helpful votes
7. Re: Recliners in Motel, Hotel rooms and or Air BnB's

I should add that my in-laws rented recliners from a furniture rental store, not the condo owners.

Edited: 1 year ago
Brooklyn, Iowa
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Recliners in Motel, Hotel rooms and or Air BnB's

Thank you so much for replying to my post. We have of course had purchased recliners for years, they really are not that expensive and last for years with regular use, ours probably do not last as long as regular used ones due to my husband using them as a bed. We are now taking/hauling a full-sized recliner with us if we are driving to a location, We then just use the valise on wheels to get it in the room. I always ask for a larger room to fit the chair/Bed comfortably. So consequently, we cannot fly to a destination. I am still hoping that Motels and Hotels reconsider the use of recliners upon request, They would just need to keep 1 around for people that sleep on them.

Brooklyn, Iowa
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Recliners in Motel, Hotel rooms and or Air BnB's

Thank you for the hints on ABNB's and possibly renting one, I am afraid his traveling days are over for flying. Because I would have to be 100% that he would have one because he sleeps in it, if not he would be totally miserable. We can't take that chance. Thank you again for your concern and help, I wish the owners of Motels were concerned also.

Rossland, Canada
3 posts
1 review
10. Re: Recliners in Motel, Hotel rooms and or Air BnB's

My husband and I both sleep in recliners due to pain and breathing issues. I wish hotels, etc would make them available like a rollaway that one could pay extra for we have carried one with us before buy my husband is no longer able to lift it. This has pretty much ended our travel. We have found recliners at My Place hotels in the US.

We need to write to hotel chains and let them know we need them!

Reply to: Recliners in Motel, Hotel rooms and or Air BnB's
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.