We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking advice about whether to fly

London, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
Seeking advice about whether to fly

Hello,

I'm based in London and haven't flown since 2017. I'm considering flying to Italy this year, but am very worried about the environmental impact. I've looked into going by train, but decided I wouldn't want to do this because it would involve two days of travelling and an overnight stay, which would add a lot of extra cost, and I would find it stressful to take multiple trains in unfamiliar places. For example, if I missed a connection it could all take much longer.

I don't know how much of a difference it would make to the environment if I flew from London to Italy and back. If I could quantify the impact it would have, it might help me make a decision.

If anyone could help, I'd be grateful.

7 replies to this topic
London, United...
3 posts
1 review
1. Re: Seeking advice about whether to fly

Ah, yes, the dilemma of jetting off from our ever-grey London to the sunny embrace of somewhere warmer, while keeping our green conscience intact, is quite the pickle that I know all too well. The thought of swapping out those rain-soaked afternoons for a bit of Mediterranean sun is almost too tempting, isn't it? But then, there's that little voice inside, reminding us of our carbon footprint. It’s like trying to enjoy a guilt-free chocolate cake that’s not quite guilt-free.

So, here’s the deal with carbon offsets. Think of them as your eco-balancing act. They're not perfect, but they’re like saying, “Okay, I’m flying, but I’m also throwing some love to the planet.” By investing in projects that plant trees, capture cow burps (yep, that’s a thing), or help communities use less wood for cooking, you're essentially wiping your carbon slate clean. It’s about making amends with Mother Nature.

But why buy them? Climate change researcher Seth Wynes puts it bluntly: flying’s a carbon heavyweight. Offsets are like a band-aid; not the cure, but they help. And finding legit projects isn’t rocket science. Look for ones that are transparent and have that third-party gold star for legitimacy. You want to make sure your eco-pounds are actually doing the work.

Now, onto buying. Websites like Green-e or Gold Standard are your go-to. They’ve got a buffet of projects to choose from, so you can pick something that resonates with you, be it reforestation or clean energy.

Yet, let's not forget the charm of staying grounded. Before we rush to the airport, why not consider a staycation or a scenic train journey? The UK's got its own treasure trove of beauty spots, and Europe’s just a train ride away. It’s about finding joy in the journey, not just the destination. Plus, trains have a certain romantic allure, don’t they? And they’re way kinder to our planet.

So, there you have it. Flying abroad? An option, but so is rediscovering the beauty closer to home or taking the scenic route by rail. It’s all about choices and finding that sweet spot between wanderlust and our eco-duties.

London, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
2. Re: Seeking advice about whether to fly

Hi, Thanks a lot for your message and sorry for the delay in replying. I've decided to go to France on Eurostar this year. I'm sure even the north of France will be sunnier than the UK! I'm planning to spend time learning Italian over this coming year, and researching ways of getting to Italy by train next year. I left it a bit late for this year (travelling in May) and it was getting too overwhelming to research complex train journeys into Europe at such short notice. Thanks for your thoughtful reply, it's reassuring to know that others think about these things too!

Richmond-upon-Thames...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
19 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Seeking advice about whether to fly

Scarlet,

Are you familiar with the Man In Seat 61 site? That should give you ample advise for your future travel options.

https://www.seat61.com/index-mobile.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
4. Re: Seeking advice about whether to fly

Yes thanks, I've consulted that site before, I think it's excellent! Thanks for reminding me of it!

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
219 posts
21 reviews
18 helpful votes
5. Re: Seeking advice about whether to fly

Consider this:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/the-carbon-footprint-of-major-travel-methods/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3MfC6UaqsvWC-M2eBOxMQEoPpioWnJXgn6GBBF-rf68rgECynlFuPV8KU_aem_AdAUKR3gFbVZosbcwjd_6arKU0pyKNdPV3JbnvazOXhiNFjK1vOetNE5u0yBbxwIRaY8T7u4RreWz0cDx0VibHDP

London, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
6. Re: Seeking advice about whether to fly

Thanks for this, ain72337! I've already booked and I'm going by Eurostar, hooray!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
49,058 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
7. Re: Seeking advice about whether to fly

Scarlet Goldfinch

Good to hear that Youre All Set up now and Have Already booked your trip...

Have a good time!

Edited: 10 May 2024, 05:20
Reply to: Seeking advice about whether to fly
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.