We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Offsetting carbon footprint while traveling

USA
Level Contributor
403 posts
35 reviews
17 helpful votes
Offsetting carbon footprint while traveling

There are lots of good discussions here about how to travel as green as possible. However, one of the biggest issues is that flights are highly polluting. I travel a lot, and while I'm very green in all other aspects of my life, flying is a vice I can't kick. Having said that, are there ways in which to offset your plane travels? I know there used to be a website where you could offset your travel carbon footprint, and they support green initiatives around the world. The last I heard, it shut down. Are there others? Also, do these offset programs really help? For example if I supported the planting of x number of acres of rainforest per mile of flight I take, does it really make a difference, or is it only to assuage my guilt?

8 replies to this topic
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Offsetting carbon footprint while traveling

According to the Scandinavians, you are are suffering flygskam! :-)

Article below May answer some of your questions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48657582

USA
Level Contributor
403 posts
35 reviews
17 helpful votes
2. Re: Offsetting carbon footprint while traveling

Thanks for the link. And thanks for the word. I learned something new today! :)

West Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
3. Re: Offsetting carbon footprint while traveling

Thank you very much for the information. One other option is to get on a pilot flight. Of course this limits where one can go but the flight is going anyway.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5,595 posts
35 reviews
35 helpful votes
4. Re: Offsetting carbon footprint while traveling

I think that offsetting is often unreliable. You can't easily tell how well the scheme is run, or whether the trees just get cut down again etc.

Plus, we should be doing both things: reducing flights AND planting trees.

Thinking that offsetting gives you a permit to fly as much as you like is dangerous. The fact is that we have to stop burning fossil fuels. It is not that we can carry on as long as we pay a few dollars to an offset scheme. It may help, but the optimal solution as above, is to both stop the burning, and also support ways to cut use further.

Just stop flying, or as near as you can. Cut down the miles by 50% as a start.

Boston...
1 post
2 reviews
5. Re: Offsetting carbon footprint while traveling

Sustainable Travel International has a great tool to help you calculate and offset your flight footprint: https://sustainabletravel.org/our-work/carbon-offsets/

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb, Croatia, Dalmatia
Level Contributor
36,708 posts
892 reviews
429 helpful votes
6. Re: Offsetting carbon footprint while traveling

Scientists are working on developing synthetic fuels, which will greatly improve the carbon footprint for airplanes...

Edited: 2 years ago
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb, Croatia, Dalmatia
Level Contributor
36,708 posts
892 reviews
429 helpful votes
7. Re: Offsetting carbon footprint while traveling

And electric planes are not that far away

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12289-Beach_Vacations.html

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,708 posts
892 reviews
429 helpful votes
8. Re: Offsetting carbon footprint while traveling

Lufthansa just announced opening of the first eco kerosene plant into which they invested:

https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/newsroom/releases/from-test-tube-to-barrel-lufthansa-invests-in-first-industrially-produced-carbon-neutral-electricity-based-kerosene-made-in-germany.html

Edited: 2 years ago
Reply to: Offsetting carbon footprint while traveling
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.