We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to choose responsible tours, hotels and transport?

2 posts
How to choose responsible tours, hotels and transport?

Hi,

I like to think that when I travel that I try to do so consciously, and that my money is going to businesses that are local, support the local economy, and also are environmentally friendly where possible. Does anyone else have similar concerns? Do you know how to find out more about hotels, transport, airlines, tours before I book?

West Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
1. Re: How to choose responsible tours, hotels and transport?

No when clear answer, but I would start with googling whatever you're trying to investigate, and then, if any further questions, call them.

Unfortunately, too many businesses call themselves "eco" with no idea of what that means, or they are simply lying. For example, I live in a rain forest area and previously lived in a house with virgin forest behind it and a stream running through. That did not make eco in any way! It was a huge house with a heated swimming pool – not particularly eco-friendly at all.

Specifics to look for are solar heating, recycling water, recycling anything. Also, a huge issue is no plastic bags! A business should charge for plastic bags or not provide them at all. This is one issue very close to my heart – as an avid diver, I would like to help protect animals such as turtles who eat plastic bags, thinking they are jellyfish. They then die of starvation.

One plea to anyone who buys cans of soft drinks or beer in six packs – please, before you throw out the plastic circles, please cut them open.

Glacier National...
Level Contributor
755 posts
2. Re: How to choose responsible tours, hotels and transport?

Read through the hotel's (or other business's) website.

It's common now for them to discuss their green initiatives.

Some are as simple as not automatically changing the sheets and towels. Another eco-friendly option is for them to provide a water dispenser for you to refill your personal water canister, instead of leaving you plastic bottles of water in your room.

2 posts
3. Re: How to choose responsible tours, hotels and transport?

Thanks so much for the tips CrystalVancouver and MartyB56. They really help me with my search. I think some places misinterpret eco-friendly or don't understand environmental sustainability. It's great to hear that some hotels are now offering more environmentally friendly options to their guests in advance.

Have you seen any hotels with great practices or information at all, anywhere around the world?

4. Re: How to choose responsible tours, hotels and transport?

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?
5. Re: How to choose responsible tours, hotels and transport?

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

6. Re: How to choose responsible tours, hotels and transport?

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

Grenada
Level Contributor
31 posts
65 reviews
73 helpful votes
7. Re: How to choose responsible tours, hotels and transport?

Hi,

Green Pearls is a great website to find eco accomodation!

They have each place rated for their "econess" too which is helpful :)

Amsterdam...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: How to choose responsible tours, hotels and transport?

There’s a label named Green Key. If a company (restaurant, B&B, hotel, boat rental, etc.) has this label, you know they care for the environment and locals.

West Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
9. Re: How to choose responsible tours, hotels and transport?

Interesting conversation with my brother yesterday. He thinks that businesses should not charge 5c or $.10 for a plastic bag, but 10 or $15! I agree.

There are some stores in Vancouver which are “no use” facilities, meaning a person it takes their own containers and fills them with whatever they want.

Maybe other cities have similar programs, probably certainly big cities do. Google!

I know the original post was a couple of years ago, but this is still an important conversation.

Edited: 5 years ago
10. Re: How to choose responsible tours, hotels and transport?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.