We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whole thread suddenly disappeared.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
37,401 posts
49 reviews
18 helpful votes
Whole thread suddenly disappeared.

I replied to a topic yesterday. Today I went back and saw that there were new replies. I was just about to add another answer to that thread, when suddenly, the whole thing disappeared. I mean, not a trace was left, not even in my own profile list. There is no indication that the OP removed his own post.

Can someone explain to me what happened?

5 replies to this topic
East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
20,361 posts
90 reviews
224 helpful votes
1. Re: Whole thread suddenly disappeared.

TA_ staff removed the thread.

It may reappear after they have ‘cleaned’ it up, if necessary. Can take 24hrs but often less.

It may be that it’s been removed permanently.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
37,401 posts
49 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Whole thread suddenly disappeared.

I often see staff removed posts remain with a note saying something like "this post has been removed due to..."

I am just surprised that a whole thread disappeared without a trace, or explanation.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
148,999 posts
8,713 reviews
4,248 helpful votes
3. Re: Whole thread suddenly disappeared.

I agree with you Thankssocialsecurity that they usually only disappear if the OP does it themselves.

Do you remember what the topic was - just in case someone saw the same past as you. Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
87,393 posts
62 reviews
97 helpful votes
4. Re: Whole thread suddenly disappeared.

TA may have moved it to a more appropriate forum. Sometimes when I see an OP in a forum asking questions about a different location, I will contact the mods to ask them to move it to that more appropriate forum. They do pretty quickly and they leave a post that says that they moved the thread. By leaving a post, the OP will get an email to click open and find their thread in the new forum.

EDIT: But if it was not listed in your profile page, TA removed it completely.

Edited: 19 February 2024, 17:20
Sans Souci...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
1,886 reviews
537 helpful votes
5. Re: Whole thread suddenly disappeared.

It’s not a common sight for threads to be removed as a whole, but I’ve seen a few in recent times. Sometimes it’s requested from the OP or just that the thread is borderline to start with and is going off the rails. Better to nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand.

Reply to: Whole thread suddenly disappeared.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.