We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review flagged for "Content Integrity", what's wrong?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Review flagged for "Content Integrity", what's wrong?

Hello Tripadvisor forum,

I recently stayed at a hotel and tried to publish a review here on Tripadvisor for it. After a few days, the review did not appear on the hotel's page on Tripadvisor, nor could I see the review when clicking on my profile. I contacted Tripadvisor's support team and received this response:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Your reviews were pulled aside and left unpublished due to some characteristics that our content filtration system flagged as potentially inconsistent with our guidelines. While we appreciate your interest in understanding the reasons as to why this occurred, disclosing these specific details could potentially compromise our ongoing efforts to ensure that content on our site is original, free from plagiarism and unbiased.

Having said that, it can be the case that there are a small percentage of perfectly acceptable reviews that can be incorrectly flagged and left unpublished. We recognize that this can be frustrating for reviewers, but our hope is that folks can appreciate the great lengths we take to ensure the quality and integrity of content on our site.

We encourage you to visit our review guidelines page via the link below.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Trust-llmsjBtituuk-Content_guidelines.html

We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to seeing more of your reviews and opinions on Tripadvisor!

What a remarkably unhelpful response... I'm wondering if you, as the Tripadvisor community, could "advise" me on what is wrong with my review that it would trip this filter. The text of my review is below. Thank you!

Title: A Delightful Stay with Exceptional Service

I recently had the pleasure of staying at this hotel during a business trip, and it exceeded my expectations in every way. From the moment I walked in, Dafy at the front desk went above and beyond to ensure I had a fantastic experience. She not only assisted me in accessing the gym, but also provided excellent local recommendations that enhanced my trip to London.

Zainab, during my checkout, continued the trend of exceptional service with a warm demeanor. Our banter added a fun and personal touch to the experience, making me feel more like a valued guest than just a traveler passing through. If you're fortunate enough to be greeted by Zainab, don't miss the chance to ask her about the Bruschetta...

Beyond the fantastic staff, the hotel itself boasts impeccable amenities, spotless rooms, and a peaceful environment conducive to both work and relaxation. The attention to detail in ensuring a clean and quiet atmosphere truly stood out.

The combination of friendly and attentive staff, outstanding facilities, and a welcoming ambiance make Nobu Shoreditch a top choice for any traveler. I highly recommend it and look forward to returning on my next visit to the area.

16 replies to this topic
Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
49,556 posts
62 reviews
100 helpful votes
1. Re: Review flagged for "Content Integrity", what's wrong?

It reads like a puff piece written by a PR company.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
80,944 posts
88 reviews
2,048 helpful votes
2. Re: Review flagged for "Content Integrity", what's wrong?

Very much agree with Post #1

When I am researching a property I want to read reviews that tell me something about the property. The rooms, facilities, dining options, etc. Whereas, the majority of your review is taking up with praising staff members

There is nothing wring with praising staff who deserve to be mentioned but IMHO that should be a small part of the overall review

California
Level Contributor
74,281 posts
1,856 reviews
468 helpful votes
3. Re: Review flagged for "Content Integrity", what's wrong?

Reviews with multiple employee names in them do seem to trigger extra review. Especially with a newer member, the concern is that the review is to provide positive feedback for employees that may result in compensation for them.

I bet if you reviewed a few of the other things you saw and did and ate at on your London trip AND also resubmitted this review, it would have a better chance of going thru. But if the only thing you are submitting is a Naming Names hotel review, I'm not surprised it was flagged. And as someone who reads the reviews here, I appreciate it being flagged as it really isn't useful to future visitors.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
101,439 posts
234 reviews
194 helpful votes
4. Re: Review flagged for "Content Integrity", what's wrong?

I think the message from staff was extremely helpful.

I would also recommend putting the details about the lodging in the first paragraph

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
119,924 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
5. Re: Review flagged for "Content Integrity", what's wrong?

I'm afraid I agree with the others. It looks more like something written for a magazine or a brochure than a review. That's not a criticism by the way, such articles have their place, but not on Tripadvisor.

I rarely mention staff by name if I write a review. If they have been excellent, I thank them directly and if exceptional I tell management. It always looks to me as if staff asked to be named because there is some sort of incentive for it at the business.

My advice is to focus on how the rooms are, what facilities you used, the comfort of the beds and so on. That's the sort of info most travellers want to know about.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Review flagged for "Content Integrity", what's wrong?

Appreciate the input, all.

I acknowledge some of you may not find the review helpful, but that doesn't address why it would trigger "Content Integrity" flags. I wondered if it was because I mentioned staff by name, but several other recent reviews on the hotel's Tripadvisor page do the same (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d12099573-Reviews-Nobu_Hotel_London_Shoreditch-London_England.html). I've also seen this as a common practice across the pages of other businesses on Tripadvisor. It doesn't make sense that this would be why it was flagged. And whether it reads like a magazine article or not, those are my words; since when is only certain diction permissible in reviews on Tripadvisor?

The message from the staff essentially said, "Your review triggered something in our automated filtering system, but we can't tell you what. And we're not going to even address the obvious point of taking a look at what you wrote with real human eyes. Please try again and have a nice day." That's pretty unhelpful to me.

-Does anyone know how I can see the text of this review within Tripadvisor? I'm only able to recount exactly what I wrote because I took a screenshot of it before posting and when I click my reviews, which shows I should have 2, nothing loads.

-Is there an appeals process through which I can get someone from Tripadvisor's staff to look at my review and opine on this, rather than just being stuck with the decision made by their automated filters?

Thanks again!

United States
Level Contributor
730 posts
1,183 reviews
35,489 helpful votes
7. Re: Review flagged for "Content Integrity", what's wrong?

Hello, Remington D:

If I were you, I wouldn't go into debates with TA about your Review. I would rewrite the Review, give a different title to it, put the details about the room, restaurants, other amenities, location of the hotel, etc. If you wish, you may attach several Photos to the Review, if you took any -- they'll make the Review look more authentic and appealing. As the contributors here suggested, make a compliment to exemplary service in general, praising their courtesy, attention, friendliness, etc. It is very possible, that giving the staff names in the Review could have triggered the automated filters and the attention of the TA Contents Integrity department.

Please, note: resubmitting the same Review won't help -- it will be deleted again.

I would also suggest to have a closer look at TA Guidelines on Reviews. Even if they seem general, you can still find some useful info there.

Best Regards

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
216 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Review flagged for "Content Integrity", what's wrong?

Remington,

if their automated filter system does pick up or flag a review for any reason then it does go to a real live person on TripAdvisor staff to read through. Then a final decision is made by that person.

They do mention bias in their reply so I suspect they believe it was written by someone with an interest/connection to that property (hotel staff) or in the employ of the hotel chain to write positive generalities (like a media relations company).

You have a lovely unique style and write well. I enjoyed reading it. But I think the overly positive mentions of specific staff, your somewhat gushing style and lack of exact detail have caused TA staff to suspect the review and the motives of the reviewer.

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
49,556 posts
62 reviews
100 helpful votes
9. Re: Review flagged for "Content Integrity", what's wrong?

Many hotels (chains mainly but not exclusively ) give out business cards on check out with the name of a staff member and an invitation to post a positive review mentioning that staffer by name. The staff themselves would then get a bonus from their employer for each good review.

It is quite likely that TA have cottoned on to this practice and is starting to zap reviews that look suspect.

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
20,339 posts
90 reviews
224 helpful votes
10. Re: Review flagged for "Content Integrity", what's wrong?

“ The staff themselves would then get a bonus from their employer for each good review.”

This is a violation of TA_ guidelines.

** Employee Incentives. It is a violation of our guidelines for a property to offer incentives designed to reward employees for encouraging reviews, e.g., a bonus for being mentioned in a review, or a contest for the highest number of reviews achieved within a certain timeframe. Such programs are against our guidelines and may be met with penalties to a property’s ranking. If you are aware of such programs at any property, please let our team know

Reply to: Review flagged for "Content Integrity", what's wrong?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.