We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reply to a thread, first successful, then disappeared

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Reply to a thread, first successful, then disappeared

This has happened occasionally.

When I replied to a brand-new thread, my reply was posted. I could clearly see it, with time stamped and everything. No error.

Then 10 minutes later, I went back to the California forum where the thread was originated, I could see the thread I replied to got reposted with a newer time stamp (about 10 minutes difference). And my reply to that thread was nowhere to be found. Disappeared without a trace. Nothing. As if nothing had happened.

I have to recompose my reply. Part of the continuity of my thoughts is gone.

Why does something like this happen? Do I have to save every reply I made in a text file?

This was the thread:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926…

(I am sure I was not hallucinating. This does happen from time to time.)

9 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,991 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reply to a thread, first successful, then disappeared

Hi

That poster has 4 forum posts in her history, but there is only one post showing in her contributions. My guess is that she removed her original post (that had your reply) and then reposted.

Just a guess.

And yes, very annoying when that happens!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,052 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reply to a thread, first successful, then disappeared

Well I'm not so sure as I've just asked about this elsewhere

I 'mislaid' a couple of posts at least tonight. I know I did it, I know they were there but when I went back - gone. I even checked to see if there had been another thread of the same title on that or another forum.

I was wondering whether to post here to see if it happened to anyone else but it's late so I thought I'd wait and see if it continued.

Several years ago this happened for a while. It does make you think you are going do'lally. That maybe you didn't hit Submit, that maybe you removed the text and didn't really answer but sometimes you know that it was there. So it's quite possible that more have vanished.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,718 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reply to a thread, first successful, then disappeared

Is it possible that the OP posted multiple times, and one of the multiples, was the thread you posted to.

If they were reported at "Duplicate posting", it 'could' explain what the two of you are experiencing.

Best Regards

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
46,890 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reply to a thread, first successful, then disappeared

@HappyFeet1234

Same thing happened to me several times in the past. I contact TripAdvisor and was told that I wasn't hallucinating (I honestly thought I was).

TripAdvisor has a new feature that looks at forum posts with URLs that may be suspicious, and removes the post as it never existed. I was posting at the time a few government sites that had the information the OP had asked. The database that this robot uses had some of my URLs flagged, even though they were just government sites. Nothing suspicious about them, but....

Maybe the above explains your issue too. To find out for sure, contact Forum moderators using the Help Center.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,052 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reply to a thread, first successful, then disappeared

I've heard from someone else that this has happened to over the last couple of days.

I wasn't posting any urls though and neither was she.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
21,310 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reply to a thread, first successful, then disappeared

I posted over the weekend & two replies disappeared.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reply to a thread, first successful, then disappeared

Thanks for sharing your experiences and the suggestions, guys and gals! For a minute I thought I'd gone crazy! LOL

It has happened to me before, but it has been a while back. From what I observed, though, usually if a poster has inadvertently posted multiple times, and some of them got deleted - either by the OP's own action or by the forum moderators - if there are replies to such a thread only the opening post was removed. The topic will be flagged as "Closed" and nobody can reply to it. But the rest of the replies will stay on for a few days until some automated scripts clear them out. Not in this instance. My reply just vaporized. Totally vanished without a trace.

I have encountered enough posting errors in the past. If you submit a post and the system errored out, you are on your own. You lose the message that you spent 20 minutes or 2 hours composing, with thorough research and lots of links and drawing your painful experiences... simply GONE. The "BACK" button is not going to help you. I have developed a habit of <control-A> <control-C> (i.e. Select all text, copy to a temporary buffer in Windows) before I ever hit the SUBMIT button. Once I see a successful post, with time stamp, reply number and everything, then I move on, knowing that my reply has been successfully processed.

<<< OR SO I THOUGHT.... UNTIL NOW!!! >>>

Geewheezzzz. I think I need to create a temp text file, at least one file a day, to collect all my replies. Even something that I thought was DONE (successfully), was not really done. It could be revoked by the all mighty. Lesson learned.

Edited: 19 June 2018, 18:20
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,718 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reply to a thread, first successful, then disappeared

>> It could be revoked by the all mighty. <<

Donald Trump ???

So Cal
Level Contributor
11,625 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reply to a thread, first successful, then disappeared

"TripAdvisor has a new feature that looks at forum posts with URLs that may be suspicious, and removes the post as it never existed."

Then why the heck are we still seeing all the spam posts with URLs RIGHT IN THE TITLE?! Holy carp, this is truly ridiculous.

Reply to: Reply to a thread, first successful, then disappeared
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted