We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February 2019 cruise ideas....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
904 posts
February 2019 cruise ideas....

Hi,

Planning a cruise for February 2019.

Probably a 7 day cruise.

Narrowed down to 2 locations - Dubai and South America.

Any preference of the 2 locations?

Any safety concerns in SA (ports will be in Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay)

Thanks

12 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,269 posts
478 reviews
1. Re: February 2019 cruise ideas....

My personal preference would be South America. I'm far more interested in the scenery and the way of life there. I'm sure others will have different views. What are you looking for from your cruise? The ports are very important for my wife and I, the weather less so. Price is also a factor.

Velez Rubio
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: February 2019 cruise ideas....

Personally I would go to South America.

Dubai has really no redeeming factors unless you like lots of glitz and heat. You may as well go to Vegas! The itineraries aren't all that interesting either.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
904 posts
3. Re: February 2019 cruise ideas....

Scenery and new locations is important to us. We did a Caribbean cruise earlier this year and a Italian/Greek cruise last year.

Any safety concerns on a South American cruise? I am looking at going with MSC cruises again. I cannot find any reviews of SA cruises...anyone have personal experience? Thanks

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,269 posts
478 reviews
4. Re: February 2019 cruise ideas....

To be honest, I'd be more concerned over safety if I were heading to the Middle East than to South America. I agree with Howie that the itineraries in the latter are more interesting than the former, at least to my mind.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it that has attracted you towards Dubai?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: February 2019 cruise ideas....

I haven’t been to Dubai, other than through the airport, but I would also choose South America. In fact, we did. Although, if you’re going for the scenery, you need to go to Chile.

We did a cruise from Valparaiso (Chile), down the coast cruising past the glaciers of Patagonia, around Cape Horn, stopping in at the Falklands, then Argentina and Uruguay, before disembarking in Buenos Aires. We felt very safe in Chile. Less so in BA and Rio (which we visited pre-cruise). We didn’t have any trouble but we were aware of common scams, and knew to leave our gold jewellery, fancy cameras etc in the hotel safe (or onboard ship). On advice, we carried a sacrificial wallet in Rio, containing $10 in singles, that we could hand over if we were mugged, but we never needed it.

The only other safety issue was when we visited Argentina after the (British) Falklands. We were told not to wear British logos/flags on our clothing as there was still a lot of bad feeling in Argentina over the 1982 war.

After this cruise, we did a side trip to Iguazu Falls. A must-see if you’re in South America.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
74,269 posts
478 reviews
6. Re: February 2019 cruise ideas....

I think it's a good idea not to carry around expensive items and to have a dummy wallet in most cities.

I have a friend with relations who are working and living in Dubai. He enjoys visiting the place, but says the main reason for going is his family. He said he would not go there for a holiday.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
904 posts
7. Re: February 2019 cruise ideas....

Hi Roj...so I have a complimentary cruise for 2 from MSC cruises. Cruise must be done by March 2019.

My vacation for this year is done. Which leave me with 3 months next year. Europe in February is probably cold, with maybe snow, etc. Only other areas in the south where MSC cruises are Dubai and SA.

We can take a 7 day cruise on any MSC ship till march...got any other locations suitable at that time? I am open to ideas....thanks

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,313 posts
71 reviews
8. Re: February 2019 cruise ideas....

Not sure I would do a 7 day cruise in SA

I know the Caribbean can be boring to some

what about a cruise the the Southern ports or Mexico/Central America out of Miami

If you really want to do S.A I would check on flights to/from Embarkation ports & any VISAs you may require

it all adds up

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
904 posts
9. Re: February 2019 cruise ideas....

Hi IHT...I think 7 days will be okay...we did a Caribbean cruise March this year out of Miami...

This particular cruise sails from Santos, Brazil. As for visas, have no idea. Thanks

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,313 posts
71 reviews
10. Re: February 2019 cruise ideas....

well before you book a cruise I would check about VISAs

I believe now you can get the VISA for Brazil online

Reply to: February 2019 cruise ideas....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted