We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirAsia hand luggage - 7kgs for both bags?

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
AirAsia hand luggage - 7kgs for both bags?
Save

Hello,

Does anybody know for sure whether the AirAsia policy require both main carry on bag and second bag (purse or laptop bag) to be 7 kgs combined or do the 7 kgs refer strictly to the main carry on bag?

I am travelling in SE Asia for 50 days in October - December and have booked several flights with AirAsia (Penang, Singapore and several destinations in Thailand). I spoke via chat with their representatives and they told me that the main baggage can have 7 kgs and the laptop bag 7 kgs, which I find a bit difficult to believe.

My main bag has about 8 kgs (DSLR and weight of the bag are 3 kgs only), so I need to know if I can redistribute some of the weight to a purse of some kind. I do not wish to check in baggage because I am trying to travel light and not fear my baggage will go missing if checked in.

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks!

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
10,842 posts
96 reviews
142 helpful votes
1. Re: AirAsia hand luggage - 7kgs for both bags?
Save

individually.

You can also wear some of the heavy things.

Isle of Wight...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
6,605 posts
266 reviews
173 helpful votes
2. Re: AirAsia hand luggage - 7kgs for both bags?
Save

http://www.airasia.com/my/en/baggage-info/cabin-baggage.page

Each guest is allowed one piece of cabin baggage AND 1 laptop bag OR 1 handbag on-board. The main cabin baggage shall not exceed 56cm x 36cm x 23cm and does not weigh more than 7kg. This baggage should also be able to fit under the seat in front of you or the overhead .

Stick to the rules, expect to have your larger carry on weighed, so make sure it isn't over 7 kg. ,In the many years I've used AirAsia, I've never had my smaller bag weighed.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: AirAsia hand luggage - 7kgs for both bags?
Save

That is what I thought, my main bag fits the size, I was just unsure about the second personal bag.

Thank you!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
77 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: AirAsia hand luggage - 7kgs for both bags?
Save

I have just returned from Malaysia on Air Asia last week and they only weighed my trolley carry on case, my Canon Eos bag was over my shoulder and was not checked and has never been checked on all airlines I have flown e.g Singapore, Malaysian Air, Virgin and Qantas

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: AirAsia hand luggage - 7kgs for both bags?
Save

These are great news, thanks! I will also have my DSLR bag as my second personal bag, as my camera kit weighs about 2kg.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: AirAsia hand luggage - 7kgs for both bags?
Save

Hi, are you back from your journey? Did you have any trouble with your second bag, at all?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
42 reviews
37 helpful votes
7. Re: AirAsia hand luggage - 7kgs for both bags?
Save

Only the main carry on bag may be weighed..so less than 7 kg in it.

Handbag is not part of that weight and never weighed...nor is laptop bag.

Persinally I think you would be very unlucky to have a problem taking a carry on main bag ,a handbag or laptop bag and a camera bag.

Flown many times with them and usually have 3 items .Hubby always has a largish "handbag" too !!

Edited: 5 years ago
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: AirAsia hand luggage - 7kgs for both bags?
Save

3 items??

Sounds cool, I'll take a softbag then. Thanks :)

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: AirAsia hand luggage - 7kgs for both bags?
Save

Hey, back from my trip. 2 months in SE Asia, about 6 flights on AirAsia, 1 VietJet, 1 TigerAir. AirAsia never weighed my bag, but it was close a couple of times. I just showed my backpack on my back and stood as straight as I could. It was overweight big time, but did not exceed the size.

Also, my personal bag was never checked at the counter.

TIP: use the self check in kiosks or web check-in for the flights with that option. Nobody checked at the gate, they are in a hurry to leave on time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
42 reviews
37 helpful votes
10. Re: AirAsia hand luggage - 7kgs for both bags?
Save

Yep over 40 Air Asia flights and I have my carry on backpack ,Handbag and camera bag or soft tote size bag with flight requirements...food ,reading ,sarong (blanket),toiletaries.

I stow the main piece and have the others under the seat..so I never have to visit the locker.

If I had to I could stuff the contents of the 3rd bag into my large hadbag and carry the book ,wear the sarong. (It doesnt say your handbag has to zip up !)

US$USD
New Zealand
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.